Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripting in Legato client 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd77

Technical User
May 17, 2007
GB
Hi All,

We have a legato 7.1.3 server running in solaris and our client is in windows, which has 7.1.2 and sql bsm 4.0.1 on it.
Due to some reason, we would like to shutdown databse as soon as legato backup starts and brings up the database once the backup completed.Is there is any way to perform this operation in a script on legato client.

Thanks in advance,
Pd77.

Not sure about Windows, but it should be similar to what we are doing in Unix:
You may define pre- and postcommands in your savepnpc file <groupname>.res
Code:
type: savepnpc;
precmd: "<Drive>:\path\to\script1";
pstcmd: "<Drive>:\path\to\script2";
abort precmd with group: No;
hope this helps

Thanks for the reply hoinz. I am new to the networker.
I see a file called nsrla.res under c:\programfiles\Legato\nsr\res but group name for the client is mssql_grp . i am wondering should i need to create mssql_grp.res file ?

Following are the steps to perform this activity , pls correct me if iam wrong.

1.Edit client resource , in backup command enter the command savepnpc.
2. In the client, ..\nsr\res\groupname.res, i have to enter
type: savepnpc;
precmd: "net stop sqlagent";
pstcmd: "net start sqlagent";
abort precmd with group: No;

Meanwhile do i need to use "nsrsqlrc" in the backup command..? is it required, particularly when i turn off database..?

Thanks,
Pd77

Hi,

as I wrote, I am not sure about Windows, and neither about MS-SQL.
So I don't dare to comment on the details.

In the link I showed above there is an instruction by NWNinja; it should do what you need.

And for detailed questions:
Anybody else out there?

Hi,

yes it is right with the savepnpc and that it creates the groupname.res on the Windows client too. To run this script it needs to have savepnpc in the backupcommand field though.

But, to run a SQL backup with the BSM, the SQL server needs to be up and running since NetWorker SQL client uses SQL APIs to retrieve the data.

So you need to decide, either you run an online backup with the SQL BSM (nsrsqlsv.exe in bck command), or you run an offline backup with savepnpc.

Thank you all for your valuable replies.... I will go offline backup using savepnpc....

Rif123's post is on-target.

You can either run an offline backup using savepnpc as your command, or an online backup using nsrsqlsv as your command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back