Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripting help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TazRussy

Technical User
Feb 17, 2006
US
I am looking for help trying to get\create and easy script to automate gathering information from a CISCO 6509 switch using show commands. I would like to be able to Run the script and have the information put into a file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to scripting and somewhat familiar with CISCO 6509 switches.

what kind of information are you trying to get off of the switch? I use perl with embedded snmpget or snmpwalk routines to gather the information.

I sometimes use securecrt to run some expect scripts to run routines as well.

I would like to run some commands to get a list of MACs and there associated ports as well as running some commands to get fan and power supply information. I am trying to just use show commands at this point. I have been having troubles getting perl setup with NET::Telnet::cisco piece, as well as trying to expect working. I am using Windows XP. As always there is no money in the budget, so free is the only way for me to accomplish this. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

This is from the SNNP Thread-
Palmtest posted this:
Take a look at the (unknown) script from our MRTG friend Tobias, named cammer.
This perl script queries your switch and your router and provides a list of Ports with corresponding MAC addresses and corresponding IP addresses which are in use on your switch.
Perhaps you can use this at your advantage.
Read the cammer.readme.txt

I'd have thought you'd just need a standard telnet emulator client that has macro support. You could then configure a macro to telnet to all your switches, run the cmds you're interested in and dump out the results to a log file.

I use Teraterm to do stuff like this.

KiscoKid,
I have installed and started looking into Tera Terma Pro but am still a little confused on how to get one macro to log into and log various commands on multiple switches. As you can tell I am VERY new to alot of this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back