Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripting for Legato Networker

Status
Not open for further replies.

deiva

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2001
US
Hi,
We are using Legato Networker 6.0.1 for Sun Solaris for backing up Unix & NT servers. Sometimes when the backups are failed, it is very tedious for us to re-run these failed backups manually. So We are looking fo some kind of scripting language / tool which is supported with Legato. Does anyone has information on that. Does anyone know about report generation tool for Legato.

Thanks
Deiva.

The only thing I know of that Legato supports is GEMS, but I've never used it, so I'm not sure of what information that supplies. I use the following process to identify failed backups:

1. When a new system is added, we run a backup, and using mminfo, create a client "profile" of all save sets that should be backed up nightly. (eg /tmp/ntsystem would contain "c:" "d:" "e:" etc...)

2. Every morning, we have a script that runs (again, uses mminfo) and checks to ensure that every save set ran successfully and alerts me to those that didn't. It seems to be the simplest way to check a large number of clients without any manual intervention.

Good Luck!!

ag100 - could you give us an indication of the mminfo commands you use in the "morning" script? - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Sure,

Here is in example of what line is run for every client:

mminfo -c $c -q "savetime > 12 hours ago" -v -ot | grep -v cE | grep -v ci | awk '{print $10}' | awk -F\\ '{print $1}' >& /tmp/save_$c

I'll go through it a bit.. The $c is a variable fed from a list that contains all clients on that backup server.. This command runs in a foreach loop. It then looks for all save sets that have run in the last 12 hours that have not ended in error, and are not still running. The awk commands take the 10th field (which is the save set) and discounts the "\" at the end of the save set name (I have had problems grep'ing for anything with backslashes at times) and dumps the contents in a file. The end result looks something like:

Registry:
Repairdisk:
C:
D:
F:

I then compare the contents of that file with the config file created after the initial backup. If anything in the original config file is not found to have been backed up in the last 12 hours, it reports a failure.

If you need anymore information, let me know.

when you are looking for scripts to be used with legato, pay a visit to They have a bundle of scripts especially for legato. It is a tar file which you can download.
Hope this helps.

Deiva,

Have you looked into "notifications" at all? legato has report generation tools called notifications that can give alerts in various forms (email, printed etc.), when certain events have occured on the Networker Server. You can be sent notifications on all backups done the night before and alerted when there are failures etc. See the Adminsitration Guide for your Legato product at their website .

Matt.

You can use any shell script language: sh, csh, ksh, bash etc. For more power use Perl. Look in the manual for the command line command descriptions for finding which command to use to do what you need. As mentioned before there is a Notification tool in Legato, while somewhat primative it works. If used with alias file for mailx, elm etc. you can setup mailing lists. There is a free pager tool called qpage you can download if you need that functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back