Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scripting BIOS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenche0820

Programmer
Aug 7, 2003
CA
Does anyone know if it is possible to script a change in the BIOS? I'm looking for a way to disable the SpeedStep technology automatically. I'm running Windows 2000 on an IBM ThinkPad T23, BIOS version 1.18 (1AET62WW).

Thanks,

Ken

If you feel lucky you could flash your BIOS chip with a hand modified version of it's current one. [lol]
(THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA) Perhaps you should be asking in a software forum.

kenche0820,
You can disable this through Power Options in Control Panel.

By default, when the notebook computer is plugged in to the AC power, the processor will run in Maximum Performance mode and when it is running from the battery, the notebook will run in Battery Optimized Performance mode. If you want to override this option and have it run at maximum performance at all times even when plugged into the battery, change both options to maximum Performance.

I read this on the Intel Web Site a while ago.

I agree that disabling SpeedStep in Control Panel is probably the easiest way. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back