Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripting a Registry Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmXmm

MIS
Jan 12, 2007
US
Hello,

I have a bit of a general security ("best practices") question. Is there any inherent security risk associated with GPO'ing a logon script to import a registry file.

We're having a heck of a time with:
Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ("$PRINTERPATH")

It works 3/4 of the time with a third of our employees. And, it's getting aggravating. Another group of people can't save their settings on a particular shared printer, either.

Testing with a the following in a .bat file:
regedit /s $HKCU\Printers\Connections\Printer.reg

That works perfectly. But, my gut tells me it is not wise to make a change to the registry like this.

Sounds more like this could be related to a group policy issue.

Granted, importing reg settings is not an ideal way of doing things, however, when knowing what exactly is being imported (you do, as you wrote it), I don't believe it is a big deal.

We used a VB Script to do it. Works great... when I am back in the office ill try to remember to post it. It is a vb script that adds the object and we simply added it to the login batch file.

Thanks for your input, guys (and/or gals).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back