Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCRIPT TO RUN VPN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FISKO

Technical User
Aug 30, 2005
GB
Hi I have UltraVPN running accross the school network which is brill for viewing/helping pupils and remote management of the computers. My only gripe is that I have to refer to a list of IP addresses and a paper graphic to remind me which computer is where. I was wondering if it was possible to have a VBScript to allow me to start the VPN viewer which would have the Password and IP address of the computer? I then envisage having these set out in a graphical form (pehaps in word or Excel)so it is easier to quickly run the Ultra VPN and view/assist the pupil etc. Any help pointers would be of great help. Thanks

Only the GOOD die young,
Me? I'm here forever!

Only problem is(afaik) that your password will be in the clear. I think there maybe 3rd party apps that can integrate with vbscript to do that though.

visio diagram with an onclick method of a computer shape being the script to launch your vpn app with the onclick method reading the text string in/associated with the computer shape?

MrMovie, That just about sums up what I am looking for, any ideas on how to put this into practice?

Only the GOOD die young,
Me? I'm here forever!

hmm, i have a little experience with visio, i use process shapes and grab the text from inside like this

For Each sh In AppVisio.ActiveDocument.Pages(1).Shapes
'Debug.Print sh.Name & " " & sh.Type & " " & sh.Text & " " & sh.ID & " " & sh.NameID & " " & sh.NameID

you will prob just be able to get away with something like

AppVisio.ActiveShape.Text....

Then

Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "superVPN.exe /username: /ipaddress

but i reckon we are getting ahead of ourselves,
can you start your vpn app with commandlines? or is there a com object exposed? or are you stuck with WshShell.SendKeys to put int he ip and user info?

there is a freeware tool the guys across the road use which they use for switch diagrams etc which you can double click switches and ports and hot keys lauch dos commands of your choice, i will find out what it is called, it might save you some time and not have to worry about the visio stuff

product the guys are using, which might be of help is

"network notepad

Thanks MrMovie, I have downloaded the app "network notepad" and have setup icons to link to the various computers. I still have to put in the password and connect, so a way of sorting that is next.

Only the GOOD die young,
Me? I'm here forever!

Ps I originaly I meant UltraVNC but I think you all got the Drift of what I should have typed.
Thanks

Only the GOOD die young,
Me? I'm here forever!

Hi just found the app VNC control that may be the all in one answer.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Only the GOOD die young,
Me? I'm here forever!

thanks for the feedback and star FISKO, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back