Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Script to recycle original saveset leaving only the clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BungleBear

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I know this was discussed a few years back but is anyone able to do this.

We have virtual tapes that are kept for 1 month and clones that are kept for 3 months but it seems that when the originals are relabled it removes any record of the clone tape. Obviously i could run a scanner to get the info back but this tapes a long times so was wondering if there was a way to reuse the original tape but keep the clone data accessible.

Thanks. (hopefully)

If it is the whole tape, relabeling would be the fastest job ;-)

But that seems to wipe the connection to the clone making it un-usable to restore from without scaning it.

To me it looks like your clone tapes are only known to the vtl and not to the networker. So when you delete the original tape the networker looses all references to the volume and you have to scan the clonetape to get it back in the media database.
If this is the case you have to possibilities:
1. Move the cloning process away from the vtl and back to networker.
2. Dont relabel your tapes in Networker but free up the space with vtl internal tools, then create new virtual tapes on this space and present them to networker.

I think i might have found a way by setting the original savesets to suspect before i relable the original the clone become accessible.
Now looking up a way to set a whole tape to suspect instead of each saveset.

Labeling a media does not touch the clone media at all - otherwise it would be huge problem. Try it.

However, deleting the save sets individually without the clone ID would cause all instances to be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back