Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Script to copy data dvd's from multiple drives to a network drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgraves8

MIS
Jul 13, 2004
US
The company I work for will be in the process of getting 15 to 20 DVD's in a week (or more). We will need to copy them from the DVD's to a network location.

I am looking to build a computer that has 5 or 6 DVD drives in it. Then fill the drives with DVD's and run a script with out having to be next to the computer to click any prompts.

I am looking to have a script that will check and see if there are any DVD's in the DVD drives. If there are it will copy the data from drives to a network location.

I am looking for it to create a log file if there is an error. After it copies the data I am looking for it verify the data on the network drive against the DVD drive.

If someone knows of a script that is similar to this or if someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim

Sounds like a perfect job for Robocopy. It will copy the files and create a log file so you can check if there were problems. Robocopy comes with the Windows Server 2003 resource kit, it is now standard on Windows Vista.

You could setup a basic vbscript, using the run command, if you have one command for each DVD drive, you can either get them to copy one drive after the next or have them all run at the same time depending on how you use the Run command.

Sure you could probable write a script to do the copying for you, but why bother when someone has already done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back