Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Script to back up PST files from all computers to Server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bence8810

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2005
AE
Dear Script Gurus,

Please note that I am a complete beginner with Scripting, I kind of dont even know what scripts are :) Having said that, I am in need to put all PST files from users' computers to a server which will be backed up as one.

I have a "script" (DOS batch file) which copies the PST file to the server upon boot (Using GPO and logon script). The problem is that while the PST file is being copied, the computer still boots up and shows the desktop, so the user can launch Outlook, and the Copy all of a sudden fails.

How would I go about a very simple script that wouldnt allow them to Open Outlook, or just to Note them not to open until it finishes. I basically need to run this script for every user once a week, maybe 7 users a day. We have 35 users.

The exchange server is exhausted with the amount of Email everyone has, so I needed to start archiving to local PST folders, but those are not backed up yet.

Thanks for any pointers, and I am open to new ideas of how to backup as well.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben

Firstly excuse me if someone else has said these things in this thread already (I read the first third or so but then scrolled won to the end when I saw how long the thread is!) or you've thought of them yourselves.

You might consider taking a look at a product like KVS ( as an alternative to user 'managed' PST files.

Whether you go down that route or not, you really need to convince your users to A) store their PSTs on the server in the first place anyway and B) use many small PST files instead of 1 or a few HUGE PST files. I'd say anything over 512Mb is a PST file running 'at risk'. My suggestion to users is to create a new PST file each month or perhaps every quarter (they can set a never-ending reminder to prompt them at the start of each month).

Of course these are users we're talking about so the chances of them actually taking any notice of points A) and B) aren't good anyway but at least you'll be in a position to say "I warned you...!"

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple][/small]

youngoz, if you are writing/reading from/to the HKCU hive then you will not see the issue that if one person does it then no one else that day can...unless the user is not a member of the group that allows backup for that day.

'these 3 things determine the execute on daily logic

1. lastBackup = WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Software\Synovate\PSTCopyFlag")

2. If lastBackup = date(now) Then

3. WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Synovate\PSTCopyFlag", date, "REG_SZ"

perhaps i should have taken more care....

perhaps something like this would be more robust...

3. WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Synovate\PSTCopyFlag", CStr(date(now)), "REG_SZ"

2. If CStr(lastBackup) = CStr(date(now)) Then

youngsz, pipe the contents of date(now) and lastBackup to the screen before the IF statement to see what is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back