Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

script needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

derketa

Programmer
May 13, 2002
TR
is there a php script to reach the database of another site.

i mean just like looking your mail from another page,
by sending password and username and getting the mails

thanks

What script are you using to reach the database on your own site? Just replace the server address variable.

- - picklefish - -

Hi,

This might not work as flawlessly as you want it to. Some servers have it setup so that you can't make remote connections or so they won't receive remote connections. You will have to make sure this is possible, otherwise you may find yourself trying endless possibilities to no avail.

Hope this helps!

Nate

mainframe.gif

I think i could not explain my problem:

There is a web page that you can enter a value and get a value from its database(no password required), I want something like this,

From my web page, someone will enter a value, i will send it to the remote web page, it will look at its database and give a result(or results), then i will display it at my web page.

do you know a script that can do this kind of things?

Thanks

If you want to submit values to a page in the same way they are doing it then just copy their html with the form and change the action property to point to their server as well as the right page.

I ditto KempCGDR but add that if the database designer knew what they were doing, they might restrict access to their form action by checking the referring form page, session or cookie data. KempCGDR's note will give the DB results in the page served from the other site. You will not be able to strip the raw data from the DB and present it in your own site. You might frame their output page in your own (frame or iframe).

Beyond this technical restriction, there might be legal issues as some sites may not like 'deep linking' or other methods that bypass other pages on their site.

If you are trying to access their data (aka copyrighted material) legally, why can't you just ask the site owner for access?

- - picklefish - -

I am trying to access a goverment site, but not illegally i mean (lol) only access what they already give at their web site without a password.

But i can not find anyone who can help me, (our bureaucracy is very slow) and if i had found i am sure he would not be willing to help me.

Whatever,
i heard one called "robot" script, do you know if it can help me or where i can find it..

thanks in advance

well if u r able to connect to the other server (where db is there) why not connect directly using php:

mysql_connect("host:port",username,password);

doesnt this work?

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

not directly related but i am trying to do something similar.

I would like to compare prices from diffrent sites on the internet (I dont own the sites therfore have no control over their scripts or html).
but i would like to grab the prices from a few sites and compare them on my own, I was wondering if this is possible.

Grant

I'm even more interested now that you mention that it is a government site (one of the sites that I operate is government-related but the records I post online have to be manually digitized from paper copies).

Can you offer a link to the site that you want to reap data from? This might help in providing suggestions.

I mentioned the legality earlier since site operators can pursue legal action if you bypass their embedded advertisements (revenue makers) by deep-linking. If this is a government site (which inherently does not need ads) and these are public records, there should be no problem.

- - picklefish - -

site is :

it asks "TC Kimlik Numarasý", something like social security number.when you give it, it brings result of an exam.(Exam is for assigning students to universities throughout the country)

I can only access their db via their internet site, i mean i dont have the usn and pwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back