Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Script Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnumVP

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2002
US
What are two possible error conditions which might cause a script to fail.

Hey Magnum, I don't think people here will mind helping you with your homework, but do please try to come up with some suggestions for yourself - that's the way to learn! Cheers.

Two major types of error conditions are internal errors (command problems or invalid information given by user) and external errors that the shell procedure must respond to properly. External errors are sent to the shell with a signal sent by the system telling you that some system-level event (like a user getting hung on the system while processing) has occured that will have an effect on your shell procedure. =================
Bad Company Music
=================

Ken,

Thanks for the advice, BUT this is not for homework purposes. I'm a instuctor at a school in CA and this question was asked by one of my students.

The answer that I gave the students was 1) Hardware fault. 2) Software fault. 3) Terminal activity. 4) Timer expiration and 5) Changes in the status of a child process.

I wanted to verify if there were other errors out there that I might be missing or go by a different name.

Sorry if the post was too vauge, perhaps I should put at least what I know...

Thanks

MagnumVP

A script execution might fail because of:
1. Improper access permissions on files / folder and for the user
2. some of the reqd files not in correct place, or missing
3. improper syntax of the shell commands
4. Internal errors
5. missing links

more reasons might exist..

Hope this helps..

Regds,

- Hemant
Networking and Systems Integration Group
Satyam Computer Services Ltd

Magnum, no problem, I was just joshing really. Aside from the above, if a script is being run through cron and the latter isn't told the correct envronment variables ($PATH etc) necessary for it's execution, the script will fail. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back