Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Stuck at 640x480 Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTaylor

Technical User
Jun 6, 2012
I have a older Sony vaio net book. I recently formatted the hardrive and reinstalled windows xp professional. But for some reason it it stuck at the 640 by 480 resolution. I don't want to risk making it bigger because the last time i did that the screen would go black after the windows xp splash screen. Any help would be appreciated!

Have you looked in Device Manager to make sure that nothing's flagged? While you're there, check the display adapter that's installed. It should list the manufacturer of the GPU (i.e. NVIDIA, ATI, etc.), but if it just says something like "Standard VGA", then you don't have the right driver installed.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

also, what is the monitor type listed in device manager, sometimes it just picks a standard vga monitor, and you have to go in an manually update the driver for an lcd. As it's a netbook, it's most likely 1024x600 but check model specs to be sure.

I don't see anything called display devices but i found a Video Controller(well 2 of them) i included a screen cap. How would i find out the information about the monitor?
Picture:

Also could it be the problem of me only having 256mb ram?

nope the only issue, is the video driver is missing, and the modem driver. Go to Sony support website, and download the correct drivers for the model netbook you have.

If you struggle with drivers from the manufacturer, there are some "Universal Driver CD" about the place.

I found one that contains 1.6GB of drivers (150,000 of them) Its zipped into a 100MB file here. Ive checked it for Viruses and its all clean.

Mount with the portable Ultra ISO included and burn to a disc.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Not spanking the monkey, but beware of bundled driver CDs or web sites that find drivers for you. Sometimes they give you trojans, etc. or at the least, bad drivers. Not saying all of them do, but the safest way is to get drivers from your PC manufacturer's support area AND/OR the manufacturer of the hardware. Be very wary.

And 256MB of RAM is quite a problem as well. Performance must be yucky.

Indeed - I am normally vary wary - but this one came up clean. (no promises :) ) but its an alternate route.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

With only 256 MB of RAM, a Linux install may be more efficient than Windows.

I installed Ubuntu on a 2002 Sony Vaio with 512 MB RAM in half the time it took to originally install XP. And there were no driver issues. And it is more responsive than when it had Windows.

I got it fixed thanks everyone! But i did try installing linux but it for some reason it turned my screen white with some black spots. And i have no money what's so ever so ram is hard for me to get. I have a newer Sony vaio laptop. But it either needs a lamp or back light I'm not sure.

Geez, if OP could only post contact information (not allowed) some kind person would probably send FREE RAM out of sympathy for running with only 256!!! I would as I come across discarded RAM regularly when people upgrade.

would it happen to be SDRAM?

That was a hypothetical "RAM in my pocket". I have none right now and you couldn't post your contact info anyway. Hands would be slapped.

Eh wouldn't really care anyway. Not like i use this often. No one has SDRAM anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back