Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Shot Wanted 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hc98br

ISP
Aug 14, 2003
My seem a daft question, but

I would like to get a screen dump from Windows XP of the final screen that reads "Its now safe to switch off your computer"

I writing a windows training manual and it would be nice to show as part of the section on shut down

I've tried Google, but maybe my query wasn't good enough.

Thanks

Ben.

If you get the screen up that you would like a screen shot off, then press the keys - ALT and print screen at the same time, this will be then placed on the clipboard where you can paste this image into a document.

From there you can crop the image to show what you want and to resize the image.

Hope that helps

Leigh...

The best i can think of is to just hack around with an image in something like photoshop to do this, it shouldnt really be too hard. I dont think its actually possible to take a proper screenshot because:

1. There is no way to save the image at this point
2. Any 3rd party screenshot makers which are in memory will have been unloaded at this point

Thanks for your help.

A colleague of mine found some images in Resource Editor, which I have hacked together, I'm guessing that it is just the large WinXP logo with the text underneath, both of these are bitmaps in the resource. Not sure though, I've only ever seen it once.

The only way to actually take a screen shot would be to get the screen up then feed it into an input on a second machine and take it from there - I don't have the hardware but I figured someone out there must have done it!!!!

Thanks for your help anyway [thumbsup2]

Ben

markso,
Totally off topic, but I just had to say that I love your signature line. There have been many on here that are totally dire, yours made me really grin [bigsmile]

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

If you have a digital camera you can snap away. The screen you are talking about is seen more in older computers than XP. XP really should just save your settings and then switch off the power with no action on your part.

More information here.

XP Soft Shutdown
thread779-534421

Look for PrintKey-pro V1.04 works great for what you want................drummond52

This screen was seen under win98, I havent seen it myself under XP... but in any case, when I was running 98, i edited this "shut down" screen (I believe that's the name) to show the text that I wanted. I believe that your only hope to doing what you want, is to find this file & print it out that way. Search on how to edit the "shut down screen for Windows XP". Good luck

Hey fbicfc, that link looks disturbingly similar to the link I posted way back up there... ;-)

----
JBR

It would be easy to do a screenshot if you were using some virtual machine software, like VMWare. You would be running one version of Windows XP inside another (or any supported operating system). It is possible to put the guest operating system on full screen, so that it fills the whole screen. When shutting down the guest OS, then you could simply press the printscreen button, and I think that would do it.

However, since you can edit the screen using the above links, there is little point in doing this anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back