Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen saver timer resets to 60 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalz

Programmer
Oct 31, 2000
US
I am having a problem where the screen saver wait timer resets to 60 minutes after I shutdown and restart my computer. I can change the time and it will hold until the system is shutdown. What is causing this?

Thanks,
Janet

Sounds like a Group Policy setting is in place. If so, you may not be able to do anything about it until the Group Policy is changed.

In Regedit go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Check the following REG_SZ value:

ScreenSaveTimeOut = 600 (for 10, 3600 = 60 minutes)

Note also these can be set under:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
for when no user is logged on.

Where would the group policy for this item be on the server? I am searching but I can't seem to find it.

Janet

User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Control Panel
Display
Screensaver timeout

The default is 15 minutes.

Try here.

Local Computer Policy/ User Configuration/ Administrative Templates/ Control Panel/ Display

Sorry, I am having a brain fart. Which application do I need to use to access these items? I've looked at everthing too long and everytyhing looks the same.

Janet

The Screensaver timeout setting in the group policies is Not Configured. Any other suggestions?

Might be something to do with "Fast User Switching.

Select the On resume, password protect check box if not using Fast User Switching.
If Fast User Switching is turned on, select the On resume, display Welcome screen check box.

Some software like MRU Blaster by Javacool Software can cause Screensaver problems.

Or try this thread.
XP Pro Screensaver Quit Working
thread779-453976

Windows XP Screensaver Timeout Problem
thread779-639552

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back