Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Resolution Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerstud620

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hey everyone, I've been working on a web site for a few days. I used Fireworks MX to create a top banner with links and a pop-up menu. I created the banner with a width of 1600px, thinking that I would just disable the horizontal scroll bar. I used overflow-x:hidden;y:auto to accomplish this. This works fine on newer browsers but on IE 5.0, no scroll bars show up, including the vertical bars which I do need.

So now I'm trying to figure out the best way around this. I thought about using JavaScript to determine screen resolution and then load the correct image size for that resolution, but I'm not familiar enough with JavaScript to do it that way. I would like to stay away from having pages set up for different resolutions and then load the correct page depending on resolution.

What does everyone think is my best option? Thanks in advance!!

If I understand the problem correctly, you can get around it by using your graphic as a background image in a DIV.
Then, depending on the width of the div you will see some or all of your graphic.

"I'm making time

I forgot mention that in order for the links and pop-up menu to appear correctly, I have to export the banner as HTML from Fireworks. So basically when I place the banner on the page, I have to insert it as Fireworks HTML(using Dreamweaver). With that said, I don't think I can use the banner as a background image. Thanks

is the right hand side of the graphic repeated at all? If so then you could split it into 2. The left side would be left as a normal graphic and the right side could be used as a background and tiled to fill up the available width of the page.

Tony
________________________________________________________________________________

That may work Fester. The links are set up for 800x600 resolution. If I crop the banner at the last link and insert that into my page, then take the right ~800 px from the original banner and use as a background, I might be able to get the correct effect. I will try it and let you know what happens. Thanks!!

If the right 800px repeats at all then I would recommend cutting it into its smallest form and letting the browser tile it - will keep the file size down.

Hope it works out for you

Tony
________________________________________________________________________________

The right 800px do not repeat so it will be one image, but I cannot get the background lined up. Is there an easy way to do this? It doesn't seem that hard but it's been one of those days [surprise].

I was going to post my code but I guess I did not save anything I had yesterday [sad]. I did upload the website, but it has my original code. That page is located at

The right 800 px do repeat. You can just take a 1px wide crop of the image and repeat that as your background

Tony

Thanks for the ideas! I think I've got everything set up. I had to modify the banner and the background image in order to get them to line up correctly. Now I just need to re-build each page with the new links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back