Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen resolution in Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTony

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2002
GB
I've just got a new laptop from work - a Compaq Evo N160, its all good, except that the IT Dept restricts the screen resolution to 1024X768 pixels, which is fine for work purposes but when I want to play Championship Manager at home, I have to go into the regedit and manually change the HKEY CURRENT CONFIG Display settings from 1024,768 to 800,600 restart and then it works. Its not the end of the world that I have to do this but is there any way I can get both resolutions so I can just right click on the desktop and go to display settings and change more easily from one to the other there? Many thanks in advance for any help!

Hello Tony

I don’t understand what you mean by the IT dept have limited the screen resolution, however the easiest way to change screen size is by right clicking the desktop and choosing PROPERTIES-SETTINGS-use the slider to adjust-APPLY-OK. Also have a look at the ADVANCED tab and place an icon on the taskbar to adjust more quickly in future.
Regards
Phil

What I mean when I said the IT Dept restricts the screen res size is that I can't right click on the desktop and change it through Display Properties and then Settings. I get an error message and I have to physically change the screen res in regedit for it to work, then restart the comp. Is there any way I can set regedit to allow both screen resolutions 1024x768 and also 800x600 without having to manually change it every evening?!

Also is there something I should be looking for in device manager and device hardware to possibly rectify this?

Thanks for responding Phil.

I would recommend taking a look under the

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

section of the registry. You might find the following entries are set to one.

NoDispAppearancePage - Removes the ability to change the colors or color scheme on the desktop from Control Panel.

NoDispBackgroundPage - Removes the ability to change wallpaper and backround pattern from Control Panel.

NoDispCPL - Disables the Display option in Control Panel

NoDispScrSavPage - The Screen Saver tab does not appear in the Display Properties page of Control Panel.

NoDispSettingsPage - The Settings and Plus tab do not appear in the Display Properties page of Control Panel

All you need to do is change them back to 0, but beware that if you plug your laptop in at work and you logon to something like a Netware server or Windows 2000 or NT server that has policies enabled on it, they will probably get reset back again. Also beware that some companies will take diciplinary action against employees who misuse the IT equipment and deliberately change settings etc. for the sake of playing games. If you really are in IT management, you could surely afford £500-600 to buy your own games machine for home use.

Can you ask the IT team to lighten-up a bit?

Why do they not want you to use a supported resolution?

Thanks for everyone's help, my financial situation is none of your business James2210 so please don't question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back