Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Lockup WIN2000PRO related to mouse pointer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniferl4

Technical User
Jan 5, 2003
US
hi all! well, i've made a few alterations to my WIN2000PRO ECS K&VMA, including adding 1.5MB PC133 SDRAM , as well as various programs...i can't pinpoint when this problem first started, but i think it is right after i moved the motherboard out of one case, then back into the original case ( i installed an EPOX 8K5A2+ in the new case )
the problem: the screen locks up...no way out except to reset..ctr-alt-del have no effect..the screen is locked in the midst of a process, such as changing an internet page..i think almost all the lockups have occurred when i am using the pointer of my mouse..i removed the microsoft intellimouse (optical) which was in the ps2 plug ( with a usb adapter), & replaced with my logitech wheeless mouse on the serial port to see if the optical mouse was the problem...at first everything seemed fine, now the serial mouse is just as bad...hmmm...the problem ususally occurs as i am draggin on the right hand scroll bar, or pointing & clicking to restore a page, e.g....i tried to use the dr. watson debugger, but i don't understand it enough to use it..
system: K7VMA AMD Thunderbird 1.3GHZ, KT133 chipset
1.5 MB Kingston valueram rated CL2, 3 DIIMS SDRAM...autodetects as CL2. ( my old ram would only run CL3)
c:Quantum 20 GB 5400RPM HD IDE1 Master
(no d; moved to new board for RAID)
e: ZIP 100 on promise 133TX2 controller PCI (ZIP would not work with KT133 IDE controller)IDE2
f: LiteOnIt 32x12x40x CDRW IDE2 Master
g: WD80GB7200RPM 8MB buffer on promise controller as IDE1
MSI nVidia RIVA T2 32MB RAM video AGP
REalteck 56K modem (runs 50.6 K on phone line)
DLink 10/100 LAN
Pinnacle A/V capture card Studio 8 deluxe v.8.3
300 Watt power
everything was running great until i moved the motherboard to the other case and back, as i recall... ( i think ) <S>
hope to receive some enlightenment,
jennifer :)

Are you using a plain-jane, basic mouse icon? And in your list I don't see how much RAM you have... how much? And are your graphic card drivers updated, it might actually be the video card. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

hi jane, i have 1.5 MB SDRAM. I was using the plain jane icon, then switched to an animated icon..now i am back to plain jane..the screen has locked up on the plane jane icon, too.
i will check with the MSI/nVidia site to see if there is an updated driver..all of the hardware updates from microsoft's download site have been installed that apply to my computer.
thanks,

MB or GB of RAM? 1.5 MB ain't a whole lot. ;-) Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

dear jenn, an obvious <G> mistake on my part..i can still remember when 1.5 MB or RAM was a lot..in fact, it required a special &quot;above board&quot; in a pci slot...but it was plenty to run 6 programs at once using software carousel...but that was long ago...
so anyway, wise girl, what is your new thought? or did you just want to point out my typo? i think it would be very difficult to find a AMD thunderbird with 1.5 MB of Ram, eh?

Just checking, since low memory would cause freezing. Good luck with checking for new video drivers to see if they help. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

dear jenn, i think the problem is solved. i went to the microsoft knowledge database on the web. under &quot;search&quot; i put in &quot;mouse lockup&quot;..there is an article # 321122 that is titled &quot;intellimouse:the mouse pointer moves erratically or does not respond with windows XP&quot;...it covered my software for the mouse,ver. 3.2....
i also spoke to a tech friend of mine who said that mouse software caused a lot of problems..., including microsoft's own intellimouse software...he said you don't need the software for the mouse to run just fine...
i followed the instructions in # 321122 which involved saving the registry, editing the registry, removing the drivers, then rebooting the couputer..it was pretty easy to follow...and VOILA~! my mouse works fine and the screen looks fine.
when i go into device manager, it identifies my mouse as a ps/2 compatible mouse...no mention of &quot;intellimouse&quot;
the wheel now works without locking up..
i think the problem is solved, but i will let you know if it does lock again, since you were interested enough to respond to my plea for help~! that way you may need the information someday or help another person with a screen freeze..
good luck on the job search! ( by the way, what job area are you looking in ? )
jenniferj@qtm.net

Hey Jennifer,

Glad it got fixed! I'll keep that in mind for my friend's Windows ME (shuddering) mouse problem. She keeps telling me her mouse is possessed, and I have seen the pointer whizz off on it's own before.

And at this point, considering I've been unemlpoyed for 7 weeks, I'll take what I can get. I interviewed for an Inside Sales Person position at a local computer manufacturer, selling computers to local resellers, so we'll see how that goes. But mainly I look for computer technician/user support/help desk kinda things. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

Hi
I'm having a similar problem of my computer freezing up randomly, I too, happen to have an optical mouse, but I haven't installed the intellieye software etc.

Nothing has changed, but I have to reboot my computer several times during the day, any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back