Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen gets corrupted, dots, squares, funny text, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcabs

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
AU
Hi guys,

I have a w98SE PC with a funny screen issue. It usually comes up when areas need to be refreshed/replaced like if u drag a window around, then let go, then drag it again somewhere else, it leaves dots or little squares behind where it was before. Sometimes fonts go funny like incomplete zeros or characters overlapping.
I've tried new RAM but no luck.
Ran CheckIt 5, all passed.
Video is onboard (SiS630 chipset) PIII/733.
Tried new video/AGP/Motherboard drivers... no luck.
Tried dropping 32bit color to 16bit.
Sometimes get Kernel32.dll errors.

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Have u ran a full virus scan? Have u tried the refresh rate?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Clean out the junk, (Temp, TempInet Files, Unused Progs, etc.) .....Delete the ShellIconCache file in C:\windows (probably corrupt), and Boot into SafeMode and run Defragmenter...restart into Regular Win. The ShellIconCache will rebuild itself, though you have to rearrange the order to your liking...

Do you have AV software "constantly" scanning All Hard drive files?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Thanks so much guys for the prompt replys...
All of your ideas make sense but still no luck.

To rule out the software, I borrowed a HDD and did a clean W2K install, popped the Video driver in and the problem was there too!!!
Borrowed a PCI video card and works fine...

So looks like the onboard video is screwed!!!!

Thanks again so much for your ideas...
Dave.

good to hear back from ya
as as aside, are you sure you've got the correct/latest drivers for the mobo chipset (and not corrupted), and BIOS parameters set for onboard(if you still wanted to investigate.
you're better off with a "card" anyway as it'll free up some RAM.
Glad you got it working

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

no worries... i think its better if people follow up their questions for better knowledge and of course courtesy....
I downloaded latest from M/B manufacturer and SiS website... both no good in W98 or the fresh W2k install i did. Check everything in BIOS...looks OK.
BTW, it was a PC Chips M758LMR board... doing some searching shows its a piece of junk (not a known brand really and really elcheapo quality).
It also turns out that even after fitting a PCI video card there were other stupid crashes and APM/ACPI not working very well either... would often hang when shutting down... basically a junk M/B. But believe it or not, CheckIt 5 showed absolutely no faults!!! Are these diag programs really that good? I think good 'ol intuition works better...

I got a new M/B and CPU now... MUCH better....

thanks again,
dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back