Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen flicker and Image Distortion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

debajjio

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
GH
The screen on my COMPAQ LAPTOP Evo N1000v has been flickering and having distorted images...this making viewing images and other multimedia packages very uncomfortable....I've tried reinstalling the VGA drivers and changing the Color Quality to 32bit.I've also tried setting the refresh rate to 90hertz but I'm having no success...
Please can anyone help me solve this "Enigma"
my adapter type is MOBILITY RODEON AGP,VGA MEM 32, INTERNAL DAC 350MHZ.

Does the flicker occur during bootup or even if you enter the BIOS for example? Could it be hardware related?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

The screen refresh should be 60Hz: any higher may damage the screen.

What happens if you use an external Monitor?

Regards: tf1

I agree with tf1, not only will it damage the screen but constant use at that higher refresh rate is also considered a Health & Safety risk to your eyes.

Thanks for the tip....I've changed the refresh rate to 60Hz...I'm still confronted by the same issue.I've had several sessions with the tech support guys at HP...They related the problem to a hard malfunction, but they asked me to install a BIOS update...that didn't work either.
What do u think I do now?

yes the it works fine when I connect another monitor to it.

Is it now running at 1024x768, 32-bit @ 60Hz? If so and it is still distorted, what happens if you connect to an external monitor?

terry

Regards: tf1

If an external monitor works ok, I would suggest it is hardware related - some hardware issue with your laptop screen.

Although it might sound stupid, have you tried the laptop in different locations? The reason I ask is because I once had a user who was complaining about a flickering screen only to discover her desk was above a floor containing a big power cable. Although laptop and TFT screens should handle this better than CRT monitors, this might be a very long shot, but worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back