Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen flashes when accessing video files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zytrex

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
When I access a video file (right clicking on it, using ctrl+x or ctrl+c, but not when hitting enter) the screen goes black for about half a second and then goes back to normal. Sometimes it is faster, sometimes slower. When it's slow, it looks as if someone pulled the power plug on an old tv, where the image kind of quickly shrinks down and disappears.

This only happens when accessing avi and mpg files. Accessing asf, ogm, and mkv causes no problems at all. Any ideas?

HM ... i know when you select a video file it creates a preview screen in the left hand side of your explorer windows... my guess would be that its somthing to do with this ... not sure why its kicking the whole screen while it access it.

Have you updated all your video card drivers and things like that?

Rob

I do not have the preview enabled in Windows Explorer. Besides, just selecting the file does nothing. I have to right click it, cut it, or copy it. This problem has existed since I got my GeForce 6800 GT. I've had several drive updates since I've since I got it with no change.

My previous card was a Radeon 9600 XT (did not use extra power from molex). This happens on the computer of a friend of mine as well. He has nVidia cards, but I don't know if they use the extra power like mine. I'll have to check.

This is deffinatly a Nvidia Driver issue, and started occuring about 6 months ago. It's nothing to worry about but I believe Nvidia are working on a fix for this.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Alright, thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back