Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen dies after Windows XP starts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedacca

Technical User
Jun 3, 2003
Before I switch my PC on, the LED on my screen shows orange. When I switch the PC on, the LED shows green while the system text messages come up. When the Windows XP start image comes up then the screen makes a slight clicking sound and goes blank, and the LED goes back to orange again.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I had just inserted a network connection via a router for the first time, whereas before I connected directly to a cable modem. I disconnected the network connection after the first time the screen went blank, but that didn't help.

[ponder]

Have you tried starting up in safe mode?

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

If you can get into safe mode as baudkarma says then check your video card drivers. Do you have another video card to check in place of the current one your using?

Also check your video settings, and make sure you're not trying to display some resolution that your video card or monitor don't support.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

You can't change video settings in Safe Mode because Safe Mode uses the standard VGA settings that cannot be changed. You have to boot up using the "Enable VGA Mode" option that is available on the F8 Boot Menu as that uses the configured graphics drivers but boots up in a mode so you can change the settings as required.

As well as checking the resolution, check the monitor refresh rate.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

I tried F8, but all that comes up is first boot device selection. How do I start up in safe mode? Or how do I check my video settings? I presume this all refers to BIOS settings?

When your computer starts booting up and you press F8 repeatedly you will be brought to a black screen with options. They will have things like

Load windows in safe mode
Load windows in safe mode with networking
Load windows in safe mode with command prompt
etc...

You should choose load windows in safe mode. Safe mode is windows loading only the basic default drivers it needs to load. This makes it easy to remove viruses/spyware or fix problems because only the basics are loaded.

If this works this way then it means your resolution or refresh rate or both are to high.

I have tried pressing F8 repeatedly, but still all I get is 'Select first boot device'. When I go into the BIOS, there appears to be no option for selecting video settings.

[sadeyes]

You press F8 after the computer performs POST and starts to load XP. And you cannot change the display driver settings in Safe Mode, you have to boot up in "Enable VGA Mode" which is an option you get when you press F8.

"It's true, its damn true!"

Thanks guys. In the end I replaced the video card and got my system back.

[thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back