Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen capture software

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostlyNuts

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
US
Hello,
I am very new to this OS so familiarity is very slim. I am going to need a tool that will allow me to capture my screen so that I can later use it in demos. Something similar to Screencam for a MS box.
Thanks in advance!
-S :eek:)

Command Shift 3 takes a shot of the entire screen, Command Shift 4 takes a shot of the top window. as part of the OS, that may be all you need. (The OS makes picts, you may wish to convert them to jpegs, I use Graphics Converter) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

While I am not familiar with Screencam, I do have a recommendation to make for screen captures. I use Ambrosia Software's Snapz Pro because using Apple's recommended method doesn't give me the flexibility I need to capture windows, menus, etc. Ambrosia has been around for years, and this software is very stable on my Mac running OS 8.6. Check it out at and reply back with your thoughts.

Good luck!

Yes, I highly recommend Ambrosia Software's Snapz tool also. It'll allow you to capture the screen while you're pulling down menus and stuff like that which really comes in useful. I think there used to be a freeware version available also.
tellis.gif

[sup]programmer (prog'ram'er), n A hot-headed, anorak wearing, pimple-faced computer geek.[/sup]​

I am not sure what OS you are using if new most probably OSX10.2?? let me know if not but if you go to Finder then Grab when it appears in the dock open it and find Capture, then you can choose a selection or whole screen. the selection allows you to put a box round the part you want to grab and then it can be saved, they are normally saved as tiffs. I have a folder on my desktop in which I save them it makes finding them easier later [ i just called it screengrabs]
This may save you having to get other software.
being a newbie on apples too I understand how you feel.
kind regards
Let me know if it helps too
Shirl[flowerface]ey Learn something new every day.

When using the shift 3 and 4 in OS X your screenshots will be saved as PDF's if you don't have Acrobat you won't be able to convert it. I mean I haven't found a way to do this without having Acrobat that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back