Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Anomolies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remy1

Technical User
Sep 1, 2003
US
I'm using an asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard, V7700 deluxe Geforce 2 GTS video card (64mb), P4 2.8GHz, 1.0GB of ram with Windows XP.
The problem I am having is my video display has small black dots on my screen. I see the dots all the time even when the motherboard screen shows up during boot up. The black dots change position all the time. They never stay in the same place. They move all over my screen. Some times I don't see them and then a next screen I see them again. If I set my background to no picture the dots are gone. I only get them in pictures, eg. pics online or on my computer. In my games the dots aren't black they are different colors eg. red, green blue, purple. I have downloaded & installed Directx 9.0b. I updated my motherboard bios to the most current version and also updated the software for the chipset and there is no change in the display.

I've had this issue before...
Normally it goes down to defective video hardware or wrong device drivers... are you using the vendor's drivers that came bundled with the card?

Athlon XP 1900+
MoBo Soyo Dragon Plus
512MB 266Mhz DDR RAM
GeForceFX 5200@325Mhz core/700Mhz memory
Samsung 60Gb 7200RPM HDD

I've seen this too, with an MSI GeForce2 GTS Pro card I used to have. My case, when I had first bought the card, my system locked up any time trying to play any 3D games; no good. I figured the card was overheating & looked to put on new heatsinks & fan.

Long story short, I botched the application using too much epoxy on the ram chips and experienced the exact same symptoms you describe. For me I caused it, but whatever the case with your card, this is a defect in the hardware, you know it's not software related becuase you see the effects before Windows ever loads up. Only solution was to ditch the video card.

One of my ram chips actually blew up while the computer was running!

Luckily, GeForce2 cards are extremely cheap these days on eBay, or maybe it's time too look into something new? Sapphire makes some low cost Radeon cards.

I forgot to put in my post before that I am using Nvidia newest drivers 45.23. I have used this video card for 2 years now. I had it in my old system. I was using a Intel CUSL2 motherboard WITH A P3 733MHz. I had this video card in that system and had no problems. Now that I have updated my system I have been having these problems. So you think it's possibly my video card? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!!!

From ur original post:
I see the dots all the time even when the motherboard screen shows up during boot up.

That right there said this is not a driver or other software issue.

It is because of the memory modules of your card. Try underclocking memory/core frequency of your card.

Test the card on the system it used to work in...
Screen garbage such as random pixels often are a symptom of card memory issues.

Athlon XP 1900+
MoBo Soyo Dragon Plus
512MB 266Mhz DDR RAM
Samsung 60Gb 7200RPM HDD

Maybe I could get another video card from a friend or something and put it in my computer and see if that fixes it.

I underclocked my video card and the number of dots was way less. And now my games worked without having my screen flash and have missing parts of the map. Does this sound like a video card issue or no?

Also when the video card is underclocked I don't have any dots in pics online any more. The pics are clear now. When I change the clock frequencies back to defualt, I get all my old probelms back again.

Overheating... Try getting coolers, fans etc for your card or replace yours... they might be defective...

Athlon XP 1900+
MoBo Soyo Dragon Plus
512MB 266Mhz DDR RAM
Samsung 60Gb 7200RPM HDD

It sounds like a faulty video card. If it is in warranty get it replaced.

Well I tryed my video card back in my old system and and it ran fine in it. There were no dots or anything. I'm starting to really get frustrated here!!!! I don't know why I am getting these stupid dots. I sent an email to asus but they don't seem to really care about the issue.

Try another card on the new system, maybe your AGP slot is faulty. I don't think so, though. This really is strange, because the symptoms you describe are the symptoms of overheating memory from overclocking. Perhaps things are just too hot inside your new case.

The problem though is that I have never overclocked my card since I have had it and the prolem is I have the problem as soon as I start the computer not after it has been running for awhile. So I don't know what is causing this. I can't seem to find anyone else having this problem. I also haven't seen anyone else using this videocard either. I'm going to get a new videocard next month anyways. I'm pretty much clueless to what this maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back