Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scratching my head: vmpro to text does not work for me - but everything looks correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

foosy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2005
US
I am trying to have vmpro send text to a cellphone using email to mycellnumber@tmomail.net, but messages are not being received on the phone.
vmpro is configured to use a SMTP server and sending emails with voicemail@mydomain.com.

When i change the recipient in vmpro to: myemail@mydomain.com -> I get an email without any problems.
When I change the recipient in vmpro to: myemail@gmail.com -> I get an email in gmail, but it is in the SPAM folder
When I send an email from myemail@mydomain.com to mycellnumber@tmomail.net -> I receive a text message

It is just when I set the recipient in vmpro to mycellnumber@tmomail.net -> I get nothing.

I checked the SMTP logs in vmpro, for sending to all different destinations -> they are all identical and all successful.
What could be the reason that I am not getting the text messages??

I figured it out ...
While I was using mydomain as the SMTP domain, the SMTP server was that of comcast, my ISP.
Apparently, tmobile marks as SPAM if the domain of the sending address is not the same as the SMTP server.
I ended up creating a new user at comcast with a comcast email address and now texting works!

...Or I thought I did ...
It worked for one message, then it stopped working... partially. Receiving only some messages. SMTP logs show all OK.
By the way, is there a way to get the caller ID name?

In VM Pro that is the variable $CALLED_NAME or $TARGET_NAME to send the contents in email use $REG[$CALLED_NAME] but the name must be available
I never used it so this is from the docs i have

So the actual variable name I need is $CLI_NAME - but alas it will not work for me as I have version 9.0.3 and it exists only from 9.1.
I opened a separate thread with a question regarding best upgrade path.

Hey foosy, I know this post is a little old, but I was hoping to catch you before you tried to upgrade the customer, and still have problems.

I have been working on 9.1 and 11.0 both attempting to route calls by caller ID name, to no avail. $CLI_NAME is documented by the help file as a valid variable that holds the caller ID name (if available), but the way he VMPro client is written does not allow you to call that variable. The problem is that $CLI exists as a variable as well, and VMPro matches $CLI before $CLI_Name. The result ends up as "5550001111_NAME"; literally appending "_NAME" to the CLI number.

I have tried to manipulate the variable in every screen I can think of, storing into CP and User Defined variables through many methods, but have had 0 luck. I have tried delineation, or break characters around the variable <> () {}[] && ## etc... and free-form commands to exhaustion.

If you have updated already, and have found a way to use $CLI_NAME please let me know [bigears] There may be a way without bringing in VB scripts or external databases. I just hope you don't update, and have to tell the customer it still won't work!

OK, OK, OK... I just figured out a way to send Caller ID Name. If you use the variable $DISPLAY this shows what would show up on the display, so normally "CALLERIDNAME>GROUP NAME". You could send this whole string, or filter it for just the name associated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back