Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scratch my last thread, different question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PavelowFE

Technical User
Jan 13, 2009
US
Need a query to output a sum of values, dependant on a different value in the record.
i.e.:
My table contains fields "Type of Aircraft" and "Aircrew per aircraft". The values for "Type of Aircraft" are AC-130, A-10, F-16, MH-60, etc.
The values for "Aircrew per Aircraft" are a number based on how many aircrew members are on an aircraft (i.e AC-130 is 14, A-10 is 1, etc).

I want to build a query that will total (sum) all of the "Aircrew per Aircraft", but grouped by the type of aircraft.
Thanks,

Vince

Correction to the post above, my fields are "Asset Used" and "# of Aircrew Trained".

Here's where I'm at:

SELECT Sum([# of Aircrew Trained])(IIf([Asset Used]='AC_130H',1,0)), Sum([# of Aircrew Trained])(IIf([Asset Used]='CH-53E',1,0)) AS [CH_53E]
FROM [Mission Report]
WHERE ([Mission Report].[Date Tng Completed] Between #10/1/2008# And #9/30/2009#)

I know this isn't correct, but it might help you figure it out.

There are no implicit operators...

(x)(y) is not a product...

(x)*(y) is a product.

I think lameid's referring to this snippet:

Sum([# of Aircrew Trained])(IIf([Asset Used]='AC_130H',1,0))

where you need something between

Sum([# of Aircrew Trained])

and

(IIf([Asset Used]='AC_130H',1,0))

perhaps a "*" if you're multiplying or a "," if they're two fields.

Geoff Franklin

total (sum) all of the "Aircrew per Aircraft", but grouped by the type of aircraft
Code:
SELECT [Asset Used], Sum([# of Aircrew Trained]) AS NumberOfTrained
FROM [Mission Report]
WHERE [Date Tng Completed] Between #2008-10-01# And #2009-09-30#

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hi PH,
I tried using your code, but it didn't work. Here's what I got:

"You tried to execute that does not include the specified expression 'Asset Used' as part of an aggregate function."

Vince

This code gives me the information I'm looking for, but I can't get into my report.

SELECT DISTINCTROW [Mission Report].[Asset Used], Sum([Mission Report].[# of Aircrew Trained]) AS [Sum Of # of Aircrew Trained]
FROM [Mission Report]
WHERE ((([Mission Report].[Date Tng Completed]) Between #10/1/2008# And #9/30/2009#))
GROUP BY [Mission Report].[Asset Used];

If there's a way to show all the results of the query on the report I already have built, that would be great.

Thanks for the help.
Vince

Nevermind, I got it.

I made a report from just that query, then in my original report, I added a subreport from the new one. The only problem now is that it doesn't let me do much formatting.

Thanks anyways.

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back