Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scratch Disk Error - Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabby414

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
WHen trying to open a file the person is getting "Scratch Disks are almost full". I haven't used Photoshop and i don't know where to begin with this. Thanks!!!

Need to check the preferences and possibly setup a new scratch disk. I don't have my copy on hand or I would walk you thru it. I believe it's under file/preferences.

It's pretty basic tho. First, make sure all available hard drives have sufficient space and it wouldn't hurt to defrag. Then look to see where photoshop is placing the scratch disks. If necessary, and if you have the resources, add a secondary SD.

Hope that does the trick. "Absorb what is useful, discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee - The Tao of Jeet Kune Do

Go to Preferences>Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks. Set First to Startup. Set Second to C:. If you have more drives i.e. set Third to D:. Set Fourth to E: or however your system is set up. Press OK. Press Control+Q to exit Photoshop. Exiting in this fashion will save the settings. Open Photoshop again and you should be fine. Also, occasionally if you have a problem, double check this area to make sure your program wasn't reset some reason. Your problem should go away.

Also, on occasion, people have trouble with their system resetting due to newer versions of software especially in Windows 2000. If this happens, disable your Anti-virus program while working in these programs. Just make sure the anti-virus is on when on in email or the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back