Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scotty: Winpatrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
Has anyone ever had any experience with Scotty Windows Patrol? It's the little Scotty dog in the Tasks area that is suppose to let you know when you receive spyware, your computer doing something it's not suppose to, etc.

Is this good software to use on your network? I.e. like I know some of the Toolbars out there cause Spyware to download to your computer and certain spyware programs like Ad-Aware I've experience spyware being picked up.
Reason I ask is that there is a user on our network that installed this program and he's the only one getting spyware each week. It could be that I might need to dig more and find out sites he's going to, but I just wanted to start with something unfamiliar to me.

Thanks!
LS

I'd run an online scan on the system, it's possible there's an infection Scotty is missing that could be causing the re-infections.

Also look here:

There are two versions of the programme, free for home use and a paid version. The free version is quite functional but not as good as the paid version.
I assume your user has downloaded the free version, think you need to look into your company policy with regard to users downloading and installing software, otherwise I foresee some problems with infections as aquias has suggested.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

Good point Greyted. If there is a policy regarding users installing unapproved software, I'd take that as some initative to remove Scotty (irregardless of whether or not it works).

If there isn't a policy regarding this type of behavior I'd suggest, strongly, that one is created. Users installing software that hasn't been tested and/or approved by IT is one of the largest reasons for spyware/malware to get into a corporate environment.

Thanks Everyone!

The funniest part about this whole thing is that the user's computer has some of the spyware that is on WinPatrol's Top Ten most Unwanted. LOL

Anyhoo, thanks again. I recently started at this company and am still getting to know their Computer Use Policy. The problem I found out is that the person previous to my position was doing two jobs and gave everyone administrator rights on their local machines (NOT the domain though) because he was trying to keep his main position top priority. So he gave everyone admin rights to their local machine to allow them to do install company-related software without him having to take the time and run to everyone's machine.
Obviously this will have to change!!!

LS

Ohh...good luck! I'd recommend taking a look at "Run As User" (do a google search on it). It's an application written by GPalmer that will allow specific applications to be run as an administrator (if they need that level of rights).

Additionally...if the policies don't exist, start to create them. You'll take A LOT of flack over them (Two years after I've put in web filtering/blocking I still take it). But it's helpful to completing your job and not losing your mind.

"So he gave everyone admin rights to their local machine to allow them to do install company-related software without him having to take the time and run to everyone's machine. "

"Obviously this will have to change!!!"

Too true it will.

Best of luck with your new company.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

Oh I know it! I've been in IT Admin/support for years. Anything you do to prevent the users from making their computer "just like their home one" drives them crazy.

Thanks for the suggestion though Aquias, I'll look into it!

LS

I've used it for awhile now. I think it's a decent program.

Ive used Scotty for years. Never been dissapointed. Im still using the free version with Sygate Firewall and Ad Aware SE and for AV I use Avast.
Take Care

Doug Woodall
SpywareBiz

Hmmm...
Maybe it's not Scotty. I went onto his computer found the four files (Adware.GAIN (twice), Adware.Ezula, and another Adware I can't remember). I found the locations of these and deleted the files.
However since I got in early I was able to spend a little more time with his computer. There was a Screen Saver, Paradise Poker and a couple of other things installed that was marked as rarely used. I removed these programs and see what happens on next week's scan.

What program are you using to block/scan for spyware?

Have you dropped his rights so he cannot continue to install these programs?

Hello All
Hope all is Well

Another Program I use is StartUp Monitor.
Startup Monitor will alert you if any program tries to automatically insert itself into your startup without your consent. You can then decide if you wish to deny/allow access to that program in your startup configuration.

Its free and It works Great!

Take Care

Doug Woodall
SpywareBiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back