Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scotch Loks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzzieGeorge

Programmer
Jan 14, 2005
AU
Guys

Here in Oz we used to use a special scotch lok for joining Dropwire to internal cable. Problem is we can't seem to find the ones we used to have anywhere anymore. They take a single pair dropwire on one side (both wires) so quite a thick cable and of course cat5 size conductors on the other. These days only the main carrier has stocks (where from we don't know) but part of the rules is in order to be compliant you need this type of connector, which is making it hard for the independent techs.

Question is, Do you guys (and girls of course) use anything like this and can you point me to a supplier?

Thanks in advance

Ozzie

I remember those, Oz. I bet you'll find them on EBay.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

The small size of the UY2-D, solvent resistant connectors, reduce the splicing bundle O.D. to a minimum. Their two ports accept two solid copper conductors that can be of different wire gauges. The connector is filled with a sealant to provide moisture resistance. The UY2-D connector is a dry version of the UY2. RUS Listed."

Try the 3M page link above. I believe 3M stood for Minnesota Mining and Mashugana..

KE407122

"The phone was working fine before it knocked over my coffee.

No, unfortunately we have been through the 3M catalogue and I believe one tech was told he could have them if he ordered $40,000 worth! They used to be U1G in the 3M range but have been discontinued, that's why we are looking for an alternative.

Sorry, I can find the UG but not the U1G at all.

LEC's are rarely pulling in wire now. The wireline o.p. is dissolving faster than they could repair it. It's all FTTH now. My three year old house has no Outside Drop or Entrance facility of any kind -- No copper, no cable, no fibre.

After thirty-one years of being a customer in good standing, they threatened me with collections and credit bureau reporting on a $0.00 balance over a period of three months. No two legbreakers could tell me an amount owing. Then they charged $1.60 interest on a $0.00 balance,so I paid $2.00. The executive office reversed the interest and then the company mailed me monthly credit statements for over 2 years! Where else could you have such such fun with $2.00.

KE407122

"The phone was working fine before it knocked over my coffee.

Wow

Someone is pretty free with the stars around here! A link to the wrong answer gets a star.

jrgood0852 writes
"Here's 1,000 for about $50 on Ebay............."

Unfortunately we have already established that these are the wrong ones.

I was hoping that there would be other manufacturers competing in the much larger market that there is over there compared to such a small market here but it looks like the world is just moving away from this kind of network. We are in the process of retiring the copper network here and moving to FTTH (changes of government allowing) so I suppose we will just have to manage till the need runs out!

Thank you for your help.

Dropwire is about 18 awg and internal cable is about 24 awg so the connector has to cope with a large cable on one side and a small cable on the other. Unfortunately the Thomas and Betts ones also appear to only for splicing same size cables.

Unfortunately that also can't cope with internal cable 26 AWG.

Jim

We have already established that internal cable is 26awg so out of spec again.

In Australia lightning protection is provided where needed based on a calculation of the number of thunder days per year and other factors but where needed it is fitted. However this has little to do with connecting dissimilar sized conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back