Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scoring on CCNA Simulator Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2004
US
I took the CCNA 640-801 today, and unfortunately only scored a 794. I have to say that the exam was much more difficult than I thought. I am looking for any way that I can improve my score for next time, and did have one question. In the scoring of the simulator questions do you lose points for entering extra (perhaps unnecesary) commands? One of the questions that I had involved configuring RIP on three routers and although I had it correct in only one or two extra lines I ran show "show ip route", ping, and traceroute several times between all the routers to verify that everything was correct. I just want to make sure that I wasn't shooting myself in the foot here. Also is it necessary to "copy running-config startup-config" on the simulator questions?

I felt confident on 90% of the questions and I was a little surprised when I did not pass. Any other suggestions that you can offer would be very helpful.

-Steve

Firstly doing a sh ip route, ping, and traceroute will only help you to ensure connectivity so no, putting those in will not hurt you (as far as I've been told by a Cisco Instructor).

It definitely is necessary to copy the config to startup though.

Steve,

Man I was in the same boat, sim questions weren't that hard, I always made sure I see all devices, but I never did a 'copy run star'. IT never crossed my mind that I needed to do this since it was a sim. How naive.

Until I came across a post that suggested to do 'copy run star' on all sims.

Guess what the third time I passed.

Damn! I wasted 250 bucks! but hey live and learn ;)

Have a good one.

if you forget a copy run start in the real world, it might cost you a lot more than 250 bucks ;)
if you get a troubleshooting sim on a exam, always test whats working and whats not...then start making changes.

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

Steve,
Yes always run copy run start as well as exit the router.

At Networkers in San Diego several years ago I asked one of the Cisco CCNA test designers (head of the Dept.) he of course would not answer any direct questions but he did say that you have got to treat it like a real router!!

When we asked him directly about "copy run start" and exiting the router all he would say was treat it like the real thing - do you back up your changes?? Do you leave a router logged in?? He said treat it like a real router and that was the best advice he could give us.

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

In addition, you also get partial credit during simulation questions (i.e. - it's NOT a all or NONE situation), this is explained on the cisco site under the exam FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back