Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scope of a Table Variable in Relation to sp_executesql 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooser

Technical User
Jun 28, 2006
US
I'll try to simplify here since the code is thousands of lines long and unnecessarily complex. (not my code.)

What I have is a stored procedure that builds SELECT statements based on literally hundreds of variables and then runs them. I don't wish to duplicate the logic (or even try to understand the logic) of the SP, I just want to take the output and put it into tables. SO, I have copied the SP and I am adding table variables and trying to populate them with the results of the SELECT statements.

I have declared a table named @egbs_1 and I have put the SELECT statement into a string which I am running with sp_executesql.

Code:
SET @newsql_1 = 'INSERT INTO @egbs_1 VALUES ( ' + @newsql_1 + ' )'

EXEC sp_executesql @newsql_1

SELECT * FROM @egbs_1

When I run it, I keep getting this error:
SQL:
Msg 137, Level 15, State 2, Line 1
Must declare the variable '@egbs_1'.

SO, my questions are; Should my @egbs_1 table variable be out of scope? And, what am I missing here?

Yes. Your table variable is out of scope. Basically, most things are out of scope that is executed with Exec. Instead of using a table variable, you could try using a global temp table. Basically, replace @egsb_1 with ##egsb_1

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Isn't the overhead for that kind of large?

You see, if I ever get this working I plan to put it into a loop that will run it about 60,000 times, (as part of a one-time data conversion effort, the source database isn't normalized so this seems to be the best/quickest way to extract the data I need immediately.)

--Gooser

The overhead for a global temp table isn't that much different than the overhead for a table variable. Sure, in a 60k loop, you may notice a difference. I got the impression from your original post that this is a very complicated process. Changing to global temp tables would be the easiest way to get this work. Also, since this is a one-time data conversion effort, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much.

Of course, the alternative would be to rewrite the process. [wink]

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back