Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scologin hangs in root

Status
Not open for further replies.

darreldk

Programmer
Aug 22, 2002
US
After relinking the kernal, the scologin starts the x server but it just flashes a couple of times and hangs, i can login at a regular prompt but the software we use is gui based, can anyone help

After left alone for several minutes,it gives me
(xinit:I/O error (errno5): unable to connect to xserver

startx doesn't work, there is no sleeptimer in the scologin scripts, the driver for my video card is correct, i have uninstalled All the graphics utilities and reinstalled
them, and nobody answers gui questions!

I noticed myself that no-one seemed to be answering your post, but I avoided it because I am not really that familiar with SCO X-Windows, which I suspect is also the reason for other members.

Have you checked out the A.P. Lawrence X-Windows FAQ pages:

You say you relinked the kernel and that is when the X-Windows crashed? Why did you relink the kernel? What did you change or install?

Yes, i checked out pcunix.com but it didn't help much, i relinked the kernal because i change the ip address.

Thanks

Have you attempted changing the ip address back to its old value?

Did you change just the ip address or other related settings with it?

How did you change the ip address? Did you use the network configuration manager, or did you manually edit the configuration files?

I changed the ip back to its original value, it had no effect, I only changed the ip address and I used the network configuration manager.

Do you see any error messages in /usr/adm/messages, /usr/adm/syslog, or /usr/spool/mail/root?

I'm sorry, but I don't have anymore ideas. I'm not really that familiar with x-windows to be much help troubleshooting it.

My guess is that x-windows broke because there were some kernell settings changed in the past that just hadn't surfaced yet because you hadn't relinked or rebooted since the changes.

One thing you can do that should fix the problem is re-install your entire system. That's probably what I would be doing by this time considering how long it has been down.

Thanx for all your help, re-installing i will go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back