Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sco unix printing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

demetrio

Technical User
Jul 17, 2002
GR
hi there..
iam running a unix sco5 opating system. i have several
printers and 4 of them are been conected to jetdirects.
they were working just fine when last friday two of them
suddenly stop printing. the printing job remains into
the spooler . i can ping the jetdirects and i have changed
the ip of them , (also in /etc/hosts), i have shutdown
the system , i have reset the the jetdirect
i have tested the two printers and they are working...but nothing
at all. ALL the athers printers work fine but the problem
remains whith the two of them. im not having any other
idea what to do with it. im not sure if is it a software
problem or a hardware problem.
notice thet i have NOT done anyting to the system(hardware
or software job) for the last 3 weeks.
i would be very grateful if somebody can help me
thank you
dimitris

Hi,
I had this kind of problem too. Unixware 7.1 tried to print via printbox intel netport 10/100. Suddenly the printboxes didn't print any more. Ping also was succesfull. Ok, i changed the queue name in the box , and this new queue name is now the printer name in Unix. for example IP=11.11.0.188 Queue Name lpt1_text. It did work. But till now I don't know why this happened.

Is this still unresolved?

I am not sure the exact cause of your problem, but here are some ideas.

The first thing to do is check the system mail files for error messages regarding the print jobs. You may want to brouse the files in the /usr/spool/mail directory.

I would guess that if something stopped working it is because something got changed.

Some print servers use information stored in /etc/printcaps. Is it possible the printcaps file or its permissions changed? You say you changed the IP addresses on the jetdirect devices. I have two intel netport print servers, and their IP addresses are specifically referenced in the printcaps.

Do these printers use an interface file? (see the /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces directory) Has the interface file or its permissions changed? Does the interface script access files or programs that have been deleted or moved?

I know this is kind of obvious, but have you checked to see if somehow the UNIX printers were disabled?

I have a printer that does that. When it happens, I disable the printer and then enable the printer (from the command line) and the jobs will then print.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back