Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO UNIX lp permissions hosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingG

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2000
US
Visit site
While attempting to correct some problems with a network printer on an SCO V5.0.5 box I managed to change the permissions/ownership for print services. We have a UNIX based app that logged users need to be able to print thru but the only one that can send a print job successfully is root...bacause I obviously changed the permissions when I was editing files. Although I've tracked down and corrected several directories and lp related files that had been changed from say bin bin as opposed to root sys I still haven't hit the one aspect of lp services that will allow others to print.<br>BTW....the scoadmin software -&gt; verify feature?...although it found some link problems and other anomalies...it didn't fix THIS problem. (sometimes ya get the bear...)<br><br>Thanks in advance for any help.<br><br>Greg K.

hi<br>printer files should have permissionn of lp:lp & u can chmod 777 ,if it changing regularly pls put one script in /etc/profile to change the permissions whenever users log in

KingG,<br><br>I don't think the 'Verify Software' option in scoadmin is what you were looking for - try the 'integrity' tool instead.<br><br>According to the man page it 'traverses the File Control database and compares each entry in turn to the real file in the file system. If the owner, group or permissions are different, an error message is output.'<br><br>It also tells you what permissions it expects to find, and the 'fixmog' tool can be used to fix them.<br><br>Annihilannic.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! for everyone's help with the printer services permission problem I HAD.&nbsp;&nbsp;Great group here!!!<br><br>Greg King

Please excuse my lack of knowledge - I don't really have unix training but I have become our SCO Unix administrator.
Where can I find this &quot;integrity tool&quot;? [sig][/sig]

bfloyd,

Well, if you can get to a command prompt as root, try simply typing 'integrity -e'. If it's not in your path, try '/tcb/bin/integrity -e'. If that doesn't work, swear, hit the desk, and then come back here looking for answers.

Annihilannic.

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back