Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO Unix can't print to Kyocera Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedtoo

Programmer
Mar 11, 2011
US
Our vendor just installed/replaced all of our main printers with Kyocera printers. They removed HP's, Brothers, and Dell's. Now I can not get the printers to print from our SCO Unix system. I can ping them and telnet to them. When I try to verify network printer operation it tells me "Printer access test failed. Add xxxxx.xxxxx.com to the printer's access list" I have removed and recreated the printer from spooler. My only/best option for model is HPLaserJet. All of our other printers use that model and work fine. I can telnet to port 9100 and what I type there prints. When I send a job to the printer with LPR it just hangs in the queue. We are not using CUPS as far as I can tell. We just configure everything through scoadmin. I am a long time programmer/administrator but SCO and unix is somewhat foreign to me. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

When I send a job to the printer with LPR it just hangs in the queue
Ask the vendor if the LPR/LPD protocol is enabled and what should be the name of the job queue.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

you could also try and browse to their ip address. those models may have a web interface that will allow you to see and change the printer configuration to your needs

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Is PCL 5 or lower enabled? PCL 6 will not work in SCO without a custom interface script.

Has a default text font been enabled? IS THIS A WINDOWS ONLY PRINTER? (no built-in fonts).

Can you use Telnet to access the printers?

Do you need to mod /etc/printcap to use the right port/queue name for the printers?

Try power cycling one of the printers, then immediately try to print from SCO. Some older versions of Windows will grab a printer and reserve it for Windows only.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

PCL 6 is enabled on the printer. There is no PCL 5 option. Our Kyocera dealer said that PCL 6 "should" work as it is PCL 5 compliant...
I can Telnet to the printer and it will print what I type.

I have set it up as a remote printer and changed /etc/printcap. When I do that and try to print the printer prints what I send, but the CR/LF's are messed up. It stair steps the output. When the print gets to the end of the line it LF's but does not CR, so it prints the next line at the same starting position on the page just down 1 line.

Thanks for everyone's input. It is appreciated.

but the CR/LF's are messed up.
Either change the option on the printer or send an "<Esc>&k2G" escape sequence.

You may also have a look at the of capability in your /etc/printcap file.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

The stairstep issue is resolvable by creating another printer, using the nlcr interface, then using the Kyocera as the output device.

Described at Tony Lawrence's site, pcunix.com

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Well, first of all PCL6 is a completely new page control language NOT 'compatible' with PCL5.
The salespeople are confused. It probably has auto-fallback to PCL5 turned on.

Easiest is to turn on auto-CR on LF at the printers control console, and make the change permanent for text only printing (see the manual on how to) so it survives a power off/on cycle.

Or you could add the missing CR's by piping output through lponlcr, like:
cat inname | /usr/lib/lponlcr > outname

or add to the end of the interface script:

cat | /usr/lib/lponlcr >

SCO Authorized Partner

PCL6 is a completely new page control language NOT 'compatible' with PCL5
Really ?

Look at PCL6 Enhanced. PCL6 Standard is really PCL5e under a different name and was put out by HP after the now renamed Enhanced version was ignored by just about everyone.

SCO Authorized Partner

If the printers ARE PCL6 only, you are NOT going to be able to print to them with a standard printer interface. CUPS I don't know. PCL6 is not interpreted on the fly like earlier versions.

Standard or enhanced it is NOT backwards compatible with PCL5 at all. End of discussion.

Jim Asman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back