Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO - SSH - Putty Settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matinau

Technical User
Jun 18, 2002
US
Ladies & Gents,

Having fits here with a SCO OS5 Server. I've installed SSL and SSH pre-compiled versions, courtesy of pcunix.com and AP Lawrence.

ssh_3.1p1_os5+prngd.tar
ssl_0.9.6c_os5.tar

Everything works great when I connect up from another unix client. HOWEVER, when I try to use Putty I am allowed to login (username & password fine) and then I get the output of .profile skewed out like the tty settings are all a-muck.

----------------
.profile
----------------

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/u/wp/wpbin:/u/wp/shbin:/u/wp/wpbin:bin:.
MAIL=/usr/spool/mail/`logname` # mailbox location
export PATH MAIL
umask 002
stty intr
echo Term=$TERM

----------------
Login from Putty
----------------
login as: admin
Sent username "admin"
admin@65.66.170.60's password:
Last login: Mon Jan 6 15:50:36 2003
Term=xterm
set your stty erase
$

----------------

At this point the terminal is hung. I've tried all sorts of options within putty. Changing the term options within putty displays when logging in.

Help!

Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Are you using PuTTY 0.52? A couple of options were added to do with SCO function keys, etc. although I suspect they won't solve your particular problem.

Does it behave normally when you use PuTTY's 'telnet' mode?

Where is the text "set your stty erase" coming from?

There is an option you could try on the 'Terminal' tab in the session options of "Implicit CR in every LF". I don't seem to need it, but it might solve your problem. Annihilannic.

Putty 0.52 is what we've been running. The client has several offices all running this version of putty running over telnet, so I'd rather not have to upgrade or change to a different terminal.

It's "echo set your stty erase" in the .profile (sorry for not including that) to remind me, as the settings in .profile don't seem to work as I'm used to in Solaris.

Thanks for the CR option suggestion, it was one setting I'd not tried. Unfortunately, I get the same results with or without this option.

Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Is the problem unique to SSH connections or does it exhibit the same behaviour when you connect to the telnet port, 23?

Perhaps try adding the following to the .profile or /etc/profile:

[tt]eval `tset -m xterm:${TERM:-xterm} -r -s -Q`[/tt]

It set the terminal up correctly... Annihilannic.

Annihilannic:

Excellent!

This setting in my users' .profile with the combination of Putty's Terminal setting Implicit CR in every LF, makes it work!

And there is no impact on the telnet sessions or the ssh sessions from other unix servers!

Thanks!!!!! Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

AH. Everything has been working fine with this setting. Now I'm told that the arrow keys do not work properly...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Have you selected 'SCO' under "Settings / Terminal / Keyboard / Function keys and keypad"? Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back