Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[Sco slow] ... possible ... ??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadan

Programmer
Apr 19, 2004
IT
Hi all!
My customer has sco 5.0.5 and the server works fine.
Since one week ago he told me about the spped performance about his server ... sco is slow from telnet / ftp connections and from the main consol.
My customer told me that he doesen't make anything (some installations about programs, or some other things).
There's about 40% of space remainig into the hds.
IT's possible that ?!!?!?
I don't have any solutions about this strange problem :(

Many tnx

Cheerio :D

Francesco Cabigliera "tadan"

Francesco Cabigliera "Tadan"
----------------------------
Italiano Amateur Radio Station
----------- IW3IDS ---------
On Echolink - APRS Active

You or your customer need to do some monitoring to see what's happening. Do a keyword search for monitoring in this forum and you'll get the idea. Post back with any specifics and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

is the speed slow through out the telnet/ftp session or just when bringing up the login screen?

You can run this command to get a quick snapshot of which processes are eating CPU time. It's just a tool, not a solution. But if you keep seeing the same process using a considerable amount of CPU time, it may lead you to a solution.

Make this an executable script (I call mine /usr/local/bin/cpuhogs).

ps -e -o "pcpu" -o "pid=" -o "time" -o "user=" -o "args=" |
awk '$1 > 5' |
sort -r -n

Hi all!
Many thanks for you're posts!
If I launch the command suggested by motoslide, this is the result:

[cite on]
... some other process (low % of cpu)
77.43 366 16-12:56:03 mmdf /usr/mmdf/bin/deliver -b
[cite off]

I I try to relaunch the command after 2-3 secs the % of cpu is about 80%

What is this mmdf user? and about the process !?!!? :((

Many thanks for other replies! :)

Cheerio

Francesco "Tadan"

Francesco Cabigliera "Tadan"
----------------------------
Italiano Amateur Radio Station
----------- IW3IDS ---------
On Echolink - APRS Active

Seems you have a mail problem.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Odds are good that you have a lock on "root"'s mailbox. MMDF gets really cranky about that, and tries to e-mail root to complain. You can see where this is going, eh?

Look in /usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/

There are sub-directories called "addr" and "msg". Odds are good that you've got thousands of tiny files in each. Also, the files are typically linked to another sub-directory (probably "q.local" or "q.smtp").

There are two ways to attack this:

If the pending mail is of no value (just system complaints to "root"), stop the deliver daemon like this:
# /usr/mmdf/bin/daemon stop
Then, clear out the contents of those sub-directories mentioned above. Do NOT delete the directories themselves. If there are thousands of files, you may have to delete them with wild-cards to break them into smaller hunks: i.e.
# for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
# do
# for j in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
# do
# rm ./addr/*$i$j
# rm ./msg/*$i$j
# rm ./q.local/*$i$j (if q.local is the other HUGE dir)
# done
# echo $i
# done
(This would be my way, I'm sure others have better methods).
Once the directories are under control, restart the deliver daemon like so:
# /usr/mmdf/bin/daemon start

If you wish to let the mail work it's way through the system (and have LOTS of patience to let it do so)...
Stop the deliver daemon:
# /usr/mmdf/bin/daemon stop
Find and remove root's mail lockfile:
(Note that the date on the lock file will indicate when your mail problem started)
# rm /usr/spool/mail/root.lock
Restart the deliver daemon:
# /usr/mmdf/bin/daemon start
Wait.... Wait some more... Keep waiting..
The deliver daemon should work through all the pending messages, and eventually quiet down. This might take hours on an older system.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back