Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO slow login performance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimgrin

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
GB
Can anyone suggest reasons why the login prompt would take a long time to appear. Is there anything I can do to diagnose the source of the problem?
Any help much appreciated.
I am using SCO OpenServer Rel. 5.

Jim.
[sig][/sig]

If the problem isn't on the server screen I would suggest DNS has stopped running on the server, or perhaps if the problem lies within workstations DNS on the workstation is not configured properly.(Host file etc)

what happens if you ping the server (using ip address) compared to pinging the server using hostname (name of server)?

If this scenario is the case its bound to be something simple.

If its slow to login on the server then I don't know?

Hope this may help let me knoe if you need more help?

andrew.yardley@microtest.co.uk

[sig][/sig]

Where is it apparent? Console? Terminals? Networked WS?
How about localizing it to 1 workstation and seeing what is running there during the delay? [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Is it all the time or at particular times of the day? [sig]<p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Top man[/sig]

Thanks for the replies. I am connecting to the SCO machine from a PC running NT, with a telnet session. As far as I know, there is no delay when logging on from the console. It seems to be the same regardless of time of day and the number of users who are on.
I am not familiar with DNS so can't comment, but if it means anything, my telnet session connects with the IP address of the SCO box, and not a name.
I realise it is probably very difficult to diagnose without actually sitting at the machine, but are there any tools either with SCO or available on the net that might help optimise performance?

c-jim_grindell@biotrace.co.uk
[sig][/sig]

My experience with SCO is mostly login terminal applications so I bow out at this point for more experienced people. I have found however in other network applications that this type of problem can be a result of mismatched network cards in that it takes two different cards a while to establish communications. And I think that this might be a start point for you. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

What sort of response to you get when you ping the server from the workstation? Do a:

#ping ip_num

and let we know what the response looks like!
[sig][/sig]

Soemthing rings a bell here, do you get errors when the system reboots? [sig]<p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Top man[/sig]

Here is the response of the ping command from my workstation:

C:\>ping 192.168.0.1
Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64

Hope this if of some use,

[sig][/sig]

Was there a delay before the ping replied?
[sig][/sig]

Do you have any other Unix servers, or maybe an NT box running the &quot;telnet&quot; service, that you can telnet in to? If so, try using telnet to connect to one of these to see if you get the same response problems.

Are you using the NT telnet client, or a third party one? There was a recent vulnerability announced with the Win2K telnet client that was related to the telnet client running NT based authentication. I think it might also apply to NT 4 with some combination of service pack and IE. The fix may be to turn authentication off.

Take a look at the Microsoft security updates page (sorry, no URL :^{ ) for more details. [sig]<p> Andy Bold<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>"I've probably made most of the mistakes already, so hopefully you won't have to..." Me, most days.[/sig]

GOSCO: There was no delay before ping replied

AndyBo: We have other Unix servers and I can telnet to them with no delay. If I log onto one of the other Unix servers and try and telnet to the offending SCO machine from there, I experience the same interminable delay!

Thanks again for your help.

[sig][/sig]

My guess is that the SCO server is doing a reverse IP address lookup so that it can get the name of the PC you are logging in from. If the server is using DNS name resolution, then the delay could be because it is trying to do a DNS lookup for your PC's IP address which cannot be resolved. When the DNS lookup fails, the server should revert to using /etc/hosts.

Try adding (or getting your sysadmin to add) an entry to /etc/hosts for your PCs IP address, and see if this speeds things up for you.

(It must be the season for DNS lookup issues. We've just solved three Windows based slow-client-login issues by adding DNS entries for the servers they were connecting to.) [sig]<p> Andy Bold<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>"I've probably made most of the mistakes already, so hopefully you won't have to..." Me, most days.[/sig]

Hi EveryBody,
The problem I'm facing is that as I'm trying to login to a SCO 5.x server it takes so long time to display the password prompt (after I type the username). And sometimes I see &quot;Time out&quot; message. It's the same when I try to login from the server consol or from another machine using telnet.

Any help is much appreciated.
Ati

does the delay go away after you log in?

if it does:
check what is in /etc/resolv.conf
make sure localhost is in /etc/hosts

if it doesn't:

check what sar is reporting

Hi again,
1. I did check for the /etc/resolv.conf : there's no such file. There's /etc/resolv.conf.sample instead.
2. There's an entry for the &quot;localhost&quot; in /etc/hosts file.

3. The sar report indicates that the system is idle almost 98% !! and the system is OK other wise.

Please remeber that I'm using the server consol and it's the same as using telnet from another machine.

Thanks again

Try this (as root):
Code:
rm -f /etc/auth/system/ttys-t

Hope This Help
PH.

I read this post a couple days ago, and of course I have the problem now. LOL. Running sco 506 and ftp from another 506 takes close to 1 minute and a half. Hmmm.

Ok, this is what fixed my problem. In the resolv.conf there was a bunch of old stuff (users, computers, gateways) and so I just put in the computer entries that were necessary. Works great now. I hope this helps.

Thanks for PHV and for all,

It's Ok now after removing /etc/auth/system/ttys-t

(I wish if I can read more about that. Is there something on the net )

Thanks again
BR / Ati

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back