Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO OSRV 5.0.5: Kernel will not link

Status
Not open for further replies.

masinc1

Vendor
Jul 5, 2001
US
Following a system crash, used LoneTar backup to restore Openserver 5.0.5 to new hard disk (CPU). Attempted to remove old/install Digi device drivers and MPI:
ERROR: Can not link-edit unix
"/var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/nfs/space.c", Line 44: Undeclared Initializer name NFSD_UNITS
Line 44: constant expected
Line 45: illegal initialization
Line 46: Illegal initialization
ERROR: '/var/.../nfs/space.c will not compile properly
i386ld Driver.o fatal: Can't open file:
/var/opt/K/..../nfs/space.o for input
ERROR: Can not link-edit unix
idbuild: idmkunix had errors
System build failed

I opened scoadmin and ran custom for all levels of SCO Enterprise 5.0.5; several problems fixed, but still will not link: same errors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated by me and the six people waiting for me to fix it! Thanks.

I had a kernel link issue once after attempting to install the Digi software... turned out to be a bad version of the software. Try getting an update perhaps?

If you remove the Digi software can you link your kernel?

Annihilannic.

Thanks for your response. I did remove the Digi MPI software and drivers, including following the manual removal instructions Digi provides, but the kernel still does not link; I have even ordered 5.0.7 to upgrade, and it still does not link as an upgrade. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks again for your help!

NFSD_UNITS should be defined in /etc/conf/cf.d/config.h. Perhaps the file is missing or corrupted? Try getting one from a working system and seeing if the kernel will link with that.

Annihilannic.

Masinc1

I have experienced similar problems re linking the kernal after rebuilding system after hd crash. I know this is a different set of circumstances to your immediate problem however I think this may help.

Use scoadmin hardware/ kernal manager select the tune kernal option. You should be able to see anomolies as sco says it expects to see certain settings and highlights them if they are not what they should be. Try resetting the parameters as sco suggests. This solved my problem hope it helps you also.

Regards

STAMAMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back