Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO OS5.0.7 Install Failure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtmckown

Programmer
Mar 19, 2003
US
I need some help with an installation of SCO Open Server 5.0.7 on an HP ML350 G4. The server has a 642 Controller that has a RAID 5 array configured. I am able to boot from the install CD and load BTLDs for ciss and ad160 (there is also an Adaptec 29160 that has a DAT drive attached). The install boots without error and I am able to configure a partition, divisions and filesystems. The install progresses without error to about 78% and then get the following error:
"sed: cannot open: /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi.old: No such file or directory (error 2) Error modifying /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi Restoring old mscsi...mv: mscsi.old: no such file or directory (error 2)"

I have to choose to ignore the error to proceed and then the install can't create a kernel. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Where did you get the ciss driver from? One of the EFS versions? which one? Note that the 5.790a EFS version is the latest to use for 5.0.7. If that's the EFS you are using, try backing down to EFS 5.770a. If you generated the BTLD's from EFS on a windows system, did you use the EFS utility to generate the diskette, or use rawrite.exe on the older EFS's? Tip: the ciss BTLD loading stops and asks if you want to replace the *existing* ciss driver - always have it replace the old SCO one compiled into 5.0.7.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

patw, thanks for the reply. This is quite a head scratcher. I have tried the ciss driver from EFS 5.66, 5.68a, 5.770a and 5.790a. I got the 5.66 driver from the installation media for OS5.0.7. and used the EFS utility to create the diskette. I got the other versions from the HP website and used rawrite to create the diskettes. I did choose to 'r'eplace the existing ciss drivers during the install process. The result is the same using all of them: at about 75% completion the error that I included in the original post is displayed. I have exchanged the 641 controller card, cable and the drive cage(back plane). I tried the integrated LSI controller and the lsil driver using a single scsi drive and got the same error. I was able to install with the adaptec 29160 controller with a single drive with no problem. I was able to use an IDE drive with no problem. Although I'm convinced that this is a driver issue, I have an identical server that installed and functions flawlessly using the 5.66 EFS BTLD for ciss.

Do you see anything wrong with this boot string?
boot: defbootstr link-"ciss ad160" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0)

The server is ML350 G4p. I'm running out of ideas and have tried so many times that I have the licence codes memorized. Any additional thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

oh-oh. Are the other working units also g4p rather than just g4's? g4p's are g5 wannabes, and I've only seen them with SAS drives.

You don't need the 'ad160' in the boot string, and that may be the problem. The ad160 driver is built into the standard 5.0.7 kernel.

This is what I use for the boot string:

defbootstr link="ciss" hd=Sdsk Srom=wd(0,0,0)

There should be a SCSI controller on the system board - use that for the tape instead and remove the adaptec board.

Use the lsil driver when you go to link the tape in after the initial install, EFS 5.790a and mp5 install

Finally, you should use the 2006 5.0.7 recut from the SCO web site instead of the original CD, unless the media kit is only a couple of years old. Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Thanks again Pat. The 5.0.7 recut media was the answer. Also, this box is the only ML350 G4p in my rack. Apparently the 'p' model had some issues that were addressed in the later installation media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back