Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sco documentation stinks! (Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

c567591

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
SCO documentation stinks! [mad]

I was trying to use ap with the -u option.
SCO for its examples shows trivial examples that are fairly straight forward.

Nowhere does it say that the group and passwd files need to be in their own little etc directories under the one specified. It also doesn't mention how it wants the /tcb/files/auth/?/* files in the directory.
Through trial & error I figured out that it wanted everything in its own directories under that /user directory.
Why can't they include examples for the more complex tasks? It wouldn't take that much more time to add a couple more examples when the man page is developed.

All they had to say for the -u option is that the directory structure needs to look like this to work:
/user/etc/passwd
/user/etc/group
/user/tcb/files/auth/?

Just venting frustration after wasting so much time when it was really a fairly easy thing to do, but just didn't know how to set things up for it. [neutral]

If you want a simple way to use ap to copy accounts from one server to the other, use ap -dgv > filename to output the accounts to filename, and then use ap -rvf < filename to re-create the accounts on the different server.

yeah, I know.

*but* the other server's hard disk died and would not power up anymore, so it was not available for this method.

That is what I usually do. :)
Thanks for the thought though.

I'm a admin newbie. I'm used the ap -dgv userid to create a user file. Then tried ap -rv -f filename userid and I'm getting the ERROR Userid ID 114 is currently aged. How do I get around this problem?

You could edit the file and remove that user from the file so it can continue.
If that user still needs to exist, you can remake the user and give them the same uid that they had before.

Thanks c567591... I got it to work by editting the uid. But I do have one more question... I'm trying to give an id authority to add users via scoadmin. On one of my platforms, the user id is set up and working. I used the ap command to create this id to the other box... It seems to work, except when I get into scoadmin as this new user, I get the msg "You are not authorized to run Account Manager on [machine name]." Obviously I'm overlooking something... I really don't know what to try... Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back