Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sco compatible printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fathead

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2002
Anyone know where I can find a list of SCO compatible printers???

I don't know of any printer that is not "SCO Compatible".

If the printer plugs into a standard parallel port (Possibly USB with later versions of SCO; I've never tried it), or if it can be configured as a shared windows printer, or if it can be configured for TCP/IP network printing it is essentially "SCO" compatible. I have a large number of printers that I print to from SCO, including laser, ink jet, and dot matrix.

What are you needing to print (Text? Graphics?). How are you wanting to connect the printer to your SCO box (Direct port? Networked Printer? Windows Shared Printer?)

As for compatibility, it all has to do with the printer language the printer is using (Raw Text? PCL3? PCL5? Postscript?) SCO comes with Raw Text and Postscript filters. You may be able to get other printer languages from any number of sources, or you can program your own filters (Which is not as hard as it sounds if you have some basic C Programming skills).

Basically anything that is not a "windows only printer".

Even some of those can be used with other OS'es, but not many, and not easily.

If the printer can be connected to a Windows PC and used as a "networked" printer then all are "workable".

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

by "SCO Compatible" I mean non-windows...I don't want to buy a printer only to find out that it is "windows only". I thought there might be a list somewhere...

Yes there is a list, but I don't remember where.

try searching the Linux forums ( or even going to linux.org.

It was a list with all the Windows printers, and including some that had a special "software" done for Unix environments that did allow some of those printers to work with Unix

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Lists constantly change because new products come out all of the time. I seriously doubt that you will be able to find an up-to-date all-inclusive list.

You just need to focus closely on the specs of the individual printer. Avoid printers that require management software to configure. Look for printers that use a standard command language (postscript, PCL3, PCL5, ...), and have compatibility modes that emulate some of the older dot printers.

Typically, "windows only" printers would be your low budget inkjets and some small lasers. Do your purchasing at an actual computer store, rather than getting something off the shelf at a department or discount store (like Costco or Sears). You probably won't have any problems with medium to high production printers intended to be shared over a network, because they are designed to be OS independent.

Found the list

Look at Basically all the printers that work with Linux will most probably work with SCO also.

The ones that don't work with Linux WILL NOT work with SCO for sure.

Use it as a guideline only.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Let's not be too obscure, folks. The answer to the question is that the HP line of printers is the most SCO compatible. Plain and simple. SCO even provides the routines to apply said brand of printers (and no other brand).

I know this because I just purchased a Lexmark (and am currently trying to get it to work) because it was the only brand that specifically listed drivers for SCO OpenServer. So my guru says, "why didn't you get an HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back