Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO ANSI Emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCOest

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
Has anyone ever dealt with SCO ANSI Emulation. I don't know how it runs on the SCO side, but I found it in emulation software that I usually use to connect to mainframes running TN3270.

Thanks

How do you wnat to deal with it? I specify it regularly as a terminal type for serial hardwired or dial up terminals.
In earlier versions goes into /etc/ttytype and the login profile specifies that the system looks there for terminal handling characteristics. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Well I have a SCO server running 5.5 and I just setup a LAN. Can the emulation be done over either IPX or TCP/IP?
Do I have to enable or install anything on the SCO side first? What are the limitations beside not have a GUI once the emulator connects? how many users can connect at once etc.? what are problems that you've run into running the emulation of SCO-ANSI?

1) depends on what your terminal emulator wants. I have one customer running it over TCP except for a color glitch.
2) You specify how many will use it. Your software may limit how many are logged at one time, but specifying ANSI doesn't limit it. Think that the number of logins is a function of the pseudo ttys that are setup as login ports.
3) SCO-ANSI on earlier versions was the console emulation for ANSI-C. Not used for any but the 12 console screens.
You probably need to look for documentation on terminal types.
I'm giving advice from memory of something I did 6 years ago and from my experiences on older versions,which may not apply to what you have. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thank you very much for these quick replies. Just so I understand though, SCO-ANSI is built-in and installed with the OS I just have to use my software, in this case host access, point it to the SCO Server's IP Address and i should be able to access the system? The emulator has the option to go over IP, there are only about 4 users who will use it, and i just have to add pseudo ttys to their login's.

Thanks again for you help.

Because it was so long ago, and an earlier version, the details I dredge from memory are probably faulty or severly flawed.
As I recall, the terminal type in ttytype was set for ansi or ansic (names taken from /etc/termcap) as that defines the terminal capabilities on the other end. And the login for the software had an "eval `tset -s`" in place of the normal terminal selection line. But the rest of the details escape me. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back