Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sco adding printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
May 17, 2004
US
I have a server with sco 3.2. At a remote location (vpn) behind a netopia router and a win xp pro machine, I have a an HP printer (serial connection) that I cannot get to print from the sco server.
The printer was previously connected through a dummy machine and working. How do I get this printer to print from an application on the sco server.
thanks

So you moved the printer from a network to a local connection? What did you do to reconfigure it on the SCO box? Are you able to print from root?

Several options.

1- Install a print server and connect the printer to it.
2- Install XP's Print Services for Unix, and use
3- install samba on the Unix machine

And others, but the above should be enough for you.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Okay, first thanks for the response.

The printer sits at a remote site. It is connected to a computer. To access the printer from the server I need to pass through a vpn i created with two netopia routers.

I have gone into sco under printers and made a new connection. Then I tried to test the network connection by entering the private address of the xp machine with the printer. No connection

On the xp machine I have checked file and printer sharing and removed xp's firewall. I have also installed xp's print service for unix. I then configured a port for print services.

I have tried to ping the computer from the network routers and I cannot hit the private address 192.ect. I can ping the private address of my sco server 10.x but none of the client computers all running xp pro. I am searching for this issue now with xp pro.

Unix TCP/IP printing does need to be able to reach the destination point in order for it to work, so your routing problem is most likely the cause of your printing problem.

I'd agree with apeasepcpc that this looks like a routing problem. However, I am unsure of where the routing def. is screwy. First, when you made the printer in SCO, did you do both steps? (Configure a printer with BOOTP/TFTP and Add printer to spooler). If you did one but not the other, you won't print. That's the first thing.
The next issue could be that you need to add a route to the xp machine in your routing table.
- check /etc/route get <ip>
- traceroute <ip>
- arp table? do an 'arp -a' and see if you see the xp box listed with the appropriate mac, IP.
- did you add a route in /etc/tcp? if not, try adding something like this:
ifconfig -p net1 <server ip> netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.255 perf 2457624576 1

/etc/route add default <gateway ip> > /dev/null 2>&1

Hope that helps. [afro2]

A couple of items need to be considered:

default routes:

Are the netopia routers the default gateways for each side of the vpn. What type of vpn are you using (IPSEC will automatically install routes when phase 2 is completed).

If the netopias are not the default gateways, then add routes on the default gateway routers on each side to indicate how to get to the other side i.e. from the client side, for any traffic destined to 10.x.x.x (sco server), go to 192.168.x.x (netopia on client side). At this point, you should be able to ping from either side and then you can worry about the printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back