Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO 5.0.7. HD SATA II

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnarasta

Vendor
Jul 29, 2009
ES
Anyone know if SCO has drivers for SATA III?

I wouldn't suspect so, but can your SATA controller be configured for IDE emulation?

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

motoslide thanks for your help,
The "motherboard" is EG3IM ACER,
only has SATA II, I put the option in BIOS compatible, but the installation says:

%adapter ha=0 type=usb_msto UDI SCSI HBA
WARNING: dh: no root controler has found
hd: a boot_time loadable driver may be required

I took a while looking for a solution by google and SCO, but no answer to the problem.
The current machine with SCO 5.0.7 is very old, I think about replacing it but can not find solutions by SCO for this technology and is becoming difficult to find material IDE in news "motherboards".

That's precisely the reason many folks are opting for VM technology. You can run ESXi on that new hardware, then install SCO 5.0.7 as a Virtual Server. There are other flavors of VM as well, of course.
Even if you got the HD to work on that motherboard, you might run into problems with the graphics chipset and network adapter. Hardware has largely left SCO in the past, unfortunately.

Strongly agree !! :(
I did some tests some time with VMWARE and were not entirely satisfactory, CARDS PCI parallel, serial, fax were not recognized.
I will seek information from ESXi to do some testing, but perhaps think seriously about switching to BSD or Linux, after being with SCO XENIX since the days of 3.2. (snniff).

Same here. Still got some 3.2 SCO Xenix media on 5.25" floppies. I think it all fit on 2 diskettes! I've been a long-time hold-out hoping for a bright future with SCO, but I gave in a couple of years back and have mostly switched to CentOS. But, running 5.0.7 or 6.0.0 on ESXi seems pretty solid. There are some good walk-through articles available. You'll get more functionality, however, if you can switch to linux (you pick the flavor). It is better at integrating with current Windows platforms, supports current Java, etc. It all depends on your specific needs of course.

When installing SCO 5.0.7 with a SATA drive you need a BTLD to handle the drivers for the WD interface. At boot you would enter link then enter "WD" for the package, must have the BTLD on a 3.5 or 5 1/4 floppy to install. I have the image if you need it and can email the image to you with the command to create the BTLD. Let me know...Thanks

Thank you for your interest ziggy6,
but it is a motherboard with SATA II
and SCO does not recognize the HD SATA conected at SATA II.
Even NOT recognized HD puting in BIOS <sata compat>.

Thanks again..

WD is the name of the driver. You will need to download the BTLD "image" file from SCOs ftp site. Write this driver BTLD image file to a floppy disk using rawwrite program, since Windows does not recognize SCO formatted floppies.

When you boot the server using the SCO 5.0.7 CD, at the "Boot:" prompt, type in "defbootstr link=wd" and hit enter. During the load of kernal and also during installation file copy, it will ask you for the floppy disk with the "WD" dsriver on it. It is very similar to pressing F6 during XP install for AHCI driver floppy.

Thanks for your interest, teletechtodd
could you tell me what the "BTLD" for SCO 5.0.7
recognize "HD SATA II" from a "SATA II motherboard" ??

Special attention
BTLD need is SATA II ("sata 2"), for
SATA normal not have penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back