Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO 5.0.6 Connecting Brother HL2070N Laser Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeB3

ISP
Jan 14, 2007
US
Having trouble connecting to Brother HL2070N Laser Printer.
Tried HP Network Setup. Can Ping and Connect to printer but cannot print test or spooled file.

Are the print jobs just sitting there? You have issued enable and accept commands for the printer?

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Print Jobs ARE just sitting there (I will not be by this System until next week). Note that this printer is connected directly to the LAN (not thru a PC). I'm not sure if it was enabled/accepted. I used the SCO HP Network setup to configure printer, not sure if that's the problem or there's a better way.

The SCO HP Network setup (/usr/lib/hpnp/hpnpcfg) is used only for printers (and network print servers) which emulate (very closely) the HP "port-9100" print configuration. In many cases, using "netcat" is more successful for printers which accept jobs on port 9100.
You need to check the documentation on that Brother printer. You may need to use LPR/LPD instead.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

You may try the LPR/LPD protocol instead of hpnp:
# scoadmin -> *>Printers -> *Printer Manager
menu Printer -> Add Remote -> UNIX ...
Host [hostname or IP address of the printer]
Printer [name of the job queue]
[[highlight] [/highlight]] Use extended ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Using the hpnpf is only made for HP-printers. You can bypass this by moving the /etc/getone. Just move it like:
# mv /etc/getone /etc/getone.org
Than create a new /etc/getone (by vi)and put in the following:

----------------- cut here ------------------

#!/bin/sh
echo "Name: HP.2.3.9.1.1.2.1.0
Value: 0
"

----------------- cut here ------------------

# chmod 755 /etc/getone

This comes from the SCO-faq.
Following link:

Good luck.