Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO 5.0.5 hardware upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaufeekT

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2012
Hello,

I have a server running SCO 5.0.5 however i have to upgrade it to a new server. Due to our "MAS90" software not being able to be transfered to a different platform I was told to look into whether or not we can keep using SCO5.0.5 and just upgrade the hardware.

I have a feeling that SCO 5.0.5 if it doesn't even support USBs it definately will not work with a new i5 or i7, dvd recorder, solid state hard drives etc...

Please let me know

If possible can someone let me know the extent of hardware that SCO 5.0.5 can run on. Im guessing Pentium II is the limit.

IIRC I've put it on PIII. Since all other hardware was PII I didn't attempt to put it into use.

Suspect you could go to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 and pick up some additional hardware capabilities.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

If you can't locate compatible hardware, you should be able to load this on a VMware box. I was bored today (and haven't played with 5.0.5 and btld stuff for years) so I followed this link with good success:

I had a 5.0.7 boot floppy handy so I used that (as mentioned in that link or in it's embedded link to Tony's site). The 5.0.5 would probably work, but you need to tweak the boot command to get past a memory issue.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

I found myself a scsi LVD Dvd-rom drive. Is that compatible with SCO 5.0.5?

The drive is likely compatible (for reading a CD), but the controller it's attached to would be a more critical issue for compatibility.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back