Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO 5.0.5 Daylight Savings Time Change 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdaddynavarre

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2005
US
In March 2007 daylight savings time will change to a different practice. I went on SCO site but couldn't see any patches for 5.0.5 SCO unix.

Does anyone have any better info? Or do I just migrate over to the Win 2003 server version of my apps and data?

Thanks

There is no canned patch. But for a modest fee they supposedly will help you out.
They want you to upgrade to 7 or to live with your computer being out of time for 2 weeks in the spring and a week during the fall.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

you can try setting the timezone variable to
TZ=EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

substitute your local timezone.
this is set in /etc/TIMEZONE

I haven't posted in a while, but I just want to say how much I love reading here, especially solutions from the old guard. You the man, Stan!

Dear Stan,
Thank you for the post. Would this work on SCO unix 5.07? SCO has released maintanence pack 5 for this and it
is supposed to take care of the DST change,. I tried to install it and it crashed my system and I had to remove patch five and reinstall MP four to run Medical Manager office software.
How would you modify your solution for central time zone?
Thank you again for your continuing inputs. I too very
much enjoy readint Tek-tips like jimbolya.

I've already posted this but can't retrieve it (damn broken search engine):
In the man M environ page have a look at the HZ section.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

maybe thread58-1330907 PHV?

Did it by handle search.

But it appears that the timezone changes but the time doesn't with 5.0.5. And the same with Stan's, although I've only used the Julian date choice for now.

I may have to go back to EST, no DST, and make the clock changes manually. Not that bad an option since I remotely log in regularly to clean out the mail messages anyway.

Ed Fair

Thanks Ed.
Incidently I have a typo in my previous post here: HZ instead of TZ.

the timezone changes but the time doesn't
Sorry, but I quite don't understand the meaning of that.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

You run date before and it says hh:mm:ss EST, afterwards it says hh:mm:ss EDT. Would expect a working TZ change to be hh-1:mm:ss EDT with the hour set back from the internal.

Haven't had time to play yet. It may be something I've done wrong.

Ed Fair

eyedoc1975, yes this does work in 5.0.7

TZ=CST6CDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

what they have changed with mp5 are the "defaults" for the time changes, whereas this string in /etc/TIMEZONE just overrides them.

there is a script called /etc/tz that will set this up for you. the one catch is to say that you are NOT in north america, then all the optional questions show up.

5.0.5 on some installations has been a little annoying and i don't know if it is unique to our customers. on some systems the /etc/profile is not actually running /etc/TIMEZONE to include the TZ override.... so we just forced it by adding a line in /etc/profile just before the case $0 line.

. /etc/TIMEZONE

that reads, dot space slash e t c slash T I M E Z O N E
so it is included at the same level, not executed as a sub shell.

I'm new to this forum so hopefully I'm adding to this thread.

I tried what Stan suggested and then tested it. It didn't change when I set the date and time forward to Mar 11, 1:55am. Do you need to do anything else other than run the /etc/tz script?

I tested it on a SCO 6 box with MP2. SLS oss706c causes my applications to hang so I can't install it. I used "asktime" to change the time.

Also, I rebooted after I ran /etc/tz and it DID work. I'd like to avoid the rebooting on our other customers if possible. They are on various flavors of SCO including 3.2v4.2 and 5.0.2 to 5.07. Any thoughts?

bobkattkg

if you don't reboot then only the user processes will have the new timezone parameters set and your log files will be very confusing to look at.

the daemon processes are ultimately spawned by "init" and inherit its environment variables. "init" runs /etc/initscript when it starts and this is where the TZ variable is initially set (if /etc/TIMEZONE is executable...be careful with that).

contrary to my earlier post you do not need to change /etc/profile just make sure /etc/TIMEZONE is executable!

First of all thanks stanhubble for your valuable information. You saved me a lot of headache.

I applied your solution and as bobkattkg said, I had to reboot to have it work. Then, on a test system, I modified the /etc/TIMEZONE file and it did not change after adjusting the date and time to march 11, 1:59:30.
So I simply typed the TZ=AST4ADT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0 at root command prompt, then export TZ, and it worked without rebooting.
Do you see any problem with this stanhubble? If you do, I will reboot, but if you don't, it saves me spending a few hours at the office in the middle of the night.

Again, thanks a lot.

Stanhubble

Okay. Thanks for all your help. I'll reboot the machines but make sure /etc/TIMEZONE is executable first.

Have a great day!

bobkattkg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back