Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO 5.0.0 login/logout informaiton 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tb1254

Technical User
Feb 17, 2004
US

I need to be able to list all the logins and logouts including any unsucessfull ones. I have looked in the adminstrators guide, and I am somewhat sure this information is located in the /etc/utmp and /etc/wtmp files but they are both compacted or encrypted.

Any help you all could provide would be great.

man last

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

The output from the last command does not give me what I am am looking for (the last command only gives me the user logins but not any invalid logins). I need to see both the valid and and invalid logins.

Just to add, in the system administrator quide chapter 5 it said to make a log of the unsecsessful logins just make a file called loginlog in the /usr/adm directory. I have done so giving both owner/group to audit and still I can't get it to log the unsecessful logins. What I am doing wrong?

I tried relinking the kernel, then rebooting and still nothing. I must be missing some step somewehere?

try it with these permissions.

/var/adm/loginlog
-rwx------ 1 root sys 5610 Jun 16 14:25

Problem solved as good as it will be. What I missed that the loginlog file gets populated after 5 unsucessful logins and that parameter can't be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back