Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCN and IP ROUTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmytech

Vendor
Aug 21, 2002
AU
I have four sites with an IP 406V2 unit at each site,thes are all connected to a corporate IP network and each unit has a LINE (as in IP LINE) to each other.
I just want to see if what I think is correct:-

Under IP ROUTE in each of the IP 406V2 would be all of the other sites IP ROUTE data as follows:-
The specific data for each site is below:-
Site A
IP Address 192.168.201.0
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.201.254
LAN 1

Site B
IP Address 192.168.202.0
Gateway 192.168.202.254
LAN 1

Site C
IP Address 192.168.203.0
Gateway 192.168.203.254
LAN 1

Site D
IP Address 192.168.204.0
Gateway 192.168.204.254
LAN 1

The units would have the following information:-
Site A would have entries for the following sites:-
Site B
Site C
Site D

Site B would have entries for the following sites:-
Site A
Site C
Site D

Site C would have entries for the following sites:-
Site A
Site B
Site D

Site D would have entries for the following sites:-
Site A
Site B
Site C

In these sites there is also the following entry which is the local units subnet information:-
Site A has an entry of:-
IP Address 192.168.201.0
Gateway (Blank)
LAN 1

Site B has an entry of:-
IP Address 192.168.202.0
Gateway (Blank)
LAN 1

Site C has an entry of:-
IP Address 192.168.203.0
Gateway (Blank)
LAN 1

Site D has an entry of:-
IP Address 192.168.204.0
Gateway (Blank)
LAN 1

Are the these required?

I am having problems contacting one of the sites after doing an update of one of the other sites IP ROUTE and IP LINE detail in it, after the reboot I could no longer connect to the system.

Regards
Stuart

So at each of the points of the star I only tell it about the centre system ie If I use Site A as the hub and Sites B & C & D as the points I would create a VoIP LINE to Site A and have only the IP ROUTING detail for Site A, at Site however I would have a VoIP LINE to each of the others with the associated IP ROUTE information, is that correct?

What abou the final quesation in my post regarding the inclusion of the local subnet in the IP ROUTE, is this required?

Is your data network truly meshed or does 1 central router do the contol from remote to remote.

At each site there is a router which is then connected to a carriers network, I do not know how that network is created but each site is visable to every other site.

Stuart

I think you just need to have your ip route point to the gateway and have every remote point to one central site. I have a few set up that way and they seem to work great. They only have 1 default route to the local gateway and they only have the main site for the IP Line and they work great.

Thanks for the info, do you have any detail on how your site is configured so I can have a look at a real situation.

Stuart

Most of my SCN's would be set up like this

Under IP Route
add a new entry
IP Addy 0.0.0.0
Mask 0.0.0.0
Gateway is the local router
Destination LAN1

Then add an IP Line
INcoming and Outgoing something different than the dialtone.
i usually start at 50.
Number of chan depends on the number of VCM's
on the VOIP tab add the gateway which is the address of the far end IPO. then change the Compression (This i play with to get the best quality). H450 leave at H450. THen i check off Enable faststart, Out of band DTMF, Allow direct media Path and Voice Networking. The allow direct media path you may need to play with. That is for calling from remote site to remote site. In your case it may work but alot of the time they do not work well. 1 very important thing is that all of your sites need to have different extensions and hunt group numbers. Duplicate numbers really cause alot of problems.

Thanks for the info but I have set up all of the IP LINES on each of the systems and they are working ok with the occasional problem if one of the sites has a problem with the network connection, after the link comes back up that site needs to be IPO needs to be restarted before the VoIP will work.

All LINES have the same basic config as follows:-
H450, Voice Networking, Out of Band DTMF, the compression is set to G729 at all sites on all lines.

All sites have extension numbers and names, Hunt group numbers etc the are not repeated anywhere else in the SCN, this includes LINE numbers although I am not sure if they have to be individual to a site.

The lines are set up similar to below:-
Site A
LINE 102 with IP address of site B
LINE 103 with IP address of site C
LINE 104 with IP address of site D

Site B
LINE 201 with IP address of site A
LINE 203 with IP address of site C
LINE 204 with IP address of site D

Site C
LINE 301 with IP address of site A
LINE 302 with IP address of site B
LINE 304 with IP address of site D

Site D
LINE 401 with IP address of site A
LINE 402 with IP address of site B
LINE 403 with IP address of site C

In the IP ROUTEs You have entered what I would have with blank fields in both the IP & Mask with the gateway being the local Router address so all addresses not on the local subnet will be sent to the router but isn't this still a MESH system, as you can see from my previous posts though these systems have IP ROUTES to all other systems.

Is leaving the fields the best / correct way to do it, if it is why do people put in an IP ROUTE for each system then?

So in my case I should do the following:-
The lines are set up similar to below:-
Site A
LINE 102 with IP address of site B
LINE 103 with IP address of site C
LINE 104 with IP address of site D

Site B
LINE 201 with IP address of site A

Site C
LINE 301 with IP address of site A

Site D
LINE 401 with IP address of site A

IP Routes:-
Site A IPO IP address 192.168.201.20
IP=BLANK Mask=BLANK gw=192.168.201.254 LAN 1

Site B IPO IP address 192.168.202.20
IP=BLANK MASK=BLANK gw=192.168.202.254 LAN1

Site C IPO IP address 192.168.203.20
IP=BLANK MASK=BLANK gw=192.168.203.254 LAN1

Site D IPO IP address 192.168.204.20
IP=BLANK MASK=BLANK gw=192.168.204.254 LAN1

So all sites in the SCN will learn about each other through SITE A

That is how i have always done it and had very few issues. It would most likely work the other way but Avaya may not support it if there was an issue. The only time I use multiple IP Routes is if there are different gateways for different things. Most of the time when i have had IP issues it was because some one had put in multiple IP routes and the system was confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back