Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scientific Notation Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgreen511

Technical User
Aug 22, 2005
US
Is there a way to have one column of my query display scientific notation to a specific power?

Example, I want everything to be E-06.

1.26E-06
0.67E-06
etc.

I couldn't find a way to specify it. Thanks.

I dont know how to do that but here is an idea. If you can get the numbers to display in scientific notation, as it appears you have done that. Then convert them to a string using CStr(). And then use the Right() function to take the four characters on the right side of the string.

HTH

What about this ?
([yourColumn] * 10^6) & 'E-06'

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

PHV,

I can't get that to return the result I want. The first term of the string I'm trying to concatenate is an equation that returns Null most of the time.

When I use that equation, it puts the E-06 in all the cells, and in the ones that don't return Null, it doesn't do the math right and shows a different result from when I don't use the & "E-06".

I've tried using + instead of &, which is supposed to keep Null, but then it returns Error when it is not Null.

Thanks.

I was able to do it by entering this into the Format box in the column properties:

Code:
0.00"E-6"

and using

Code:
([yourColumn] * 10^6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back